Verizon Wireless is proud to offer Verizon Mobile Accessibility, a screen-reader access application that allows people who are blind or have low vision to use an Android™ phone to its full extent.
The Verizon Mobile Accessibility application is available on all Verizon Wireless Android™ devices that have an operating system of 2.2 or higher, and supports Google Play. The application is found in Google Play under the name Verizon Mobile Accessibility. There is no cost to purchase the application, data charges may apply when downloading.
Features of Verizon Mobile Accessibility
Verizon Mobile Accessibility features text read-back via a natural sounding voice powered by Nuance’s Vocalizer™ text to speech technology.
The Verizon Mobile Accessibility application is two products in one:
- A suite of 10 accessible applications (Phone, Contacts, SMS, Alarm, Calendar, Email, Web, Where am I, Apps and Settings) that have been specially designed for the blind and low vision customer. All applications in the suite have a simplified interface whose textual information is spoken.
- A screen reader that allows users to get out of the suite and navigate the standard interface of their phone.
Using Verizon Mobile Accessibility makes it easier to use all features of the phone. You can:
- Phone: Make calls, answer calls, hear the caller ID and manage your call log.
- Contacts: Manage your contacts, even those from social networking sites.
- SMS: Compose and read short messages.
- Alarms: Set your alarm
- Web: Full web browser experience, similar to what you can find on your PC. Bookmark your favorite web pages.
- Calendar: Create, edit and delete a calendar entry. View all events per day, week or month.
- Email: Full access to your Gmail account.
- Where am I?: GPS application that gives your updates on your location.
- Apps: Access the list of applications installed on your Android phone.
- Settings: Change Ringtone, configure feedback, notifications, keyboard echo, punctuation verbosity, speech, pitch and rate.
- There is also a quick access to Date and Time, phone status information.
Highlights of Verizon Mobile Accessibility
Touch navigation: Verizon Mobile Accessibility can be used not only with the trackball or the physical keyboard of your phone, but also with its touchscreen. Simply move your finger around the screen and the text under your finger will be read out. Or, you can swipe up/down/right/left and tap on the screen to navigate through the device.
Easy to input text: Either in the Verizon Mobile Accessibility suite or outside of it you can use the touch QWERTY keyboard or speech recognition to write a text or email quickly and easily.
How do you use Verizon Mobile Accessibility: Depending on your device it can be used with the track ball, physical keyboard or touchscreen. Simply move your finger around the screen and the voice will read the text located under your finger. Or you can swipe up/down/right or left and tap the screen to navigate through the interface.
The cost of the Verizon Mobile Accessibility application: The Verizon Mobile Accessibility application is free for all Verizon Wireless customers. There is no cost to purchase the application if downloaded from Google Play. Data charges may apply to download the application to your handset.
To learn more about the Verizon Mobile Accessibility application or for troubleshooting assistance with the Application, please go directly to the Code Factory website for assistance, click here: http://www.codefactory.es/en/support.asp?id=284.
User Manual and Quick Start Guide
Installing Verizon Mobile Accessibility to your device: Please note you may need sighted assistance to download of this application.
- Off of the device Home Page, Select Google Play
- Type Verizon in the Search Window
- Type Verizon Mobile Accessibility in the Search Window
- Application will appear, select Install
- Select Accept & Download
- Select the device Home Screen icon to begin using
Uninstalling Verizon Mobile Accessibility Application: Please note you may need sighted assistance to remove the Verizon Mobile Accessibility application.
- Select Applications from the Verizon Mobile Accessibility icon list
- Select Settings (please note you will be leaving the application and will no longer have speech)
- Select Apps
- Select Mange Applications
- Select the Verizon Mobile Accessibility icon
- Select Un-install and OK to complete the process
Please note: You can use TalkBack and SoundBack, which are Android accessibility applications in conjunction with Verizon Mobile Accessibility.