BEDMINSTER, NJ and DALLAS — The search is over for mobile professionals and gadget enthusiasts in need of a wireless device with reliable EV-DO high-speed connectivity, a familiar user interface and essential hardware features. Samsung's SCH-i730, featuring Microsoft's Windows Mobile software, is available today for large account customers and on July 7 for consumers, exclusively through Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice network.
Built to support EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) and certain Bluetooth profiles, the Samsung SCH-i730 makes working on-the-go a breeze. With the i730, Verizon Wireless customers get quick wireless access to the Internet via Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess and seamless data exchange with other Bluetooth®-enabled devices. Additionally, the Samsung i730 integrates an SD I/O expansion slot for memory expansion and additional productivity applications that easily can be loaded on the device.
The i730 slider device combines form with functionality, allowing for a 65,000-color touch screen as well as a fully integrated QWERTY keyboard. The screen is ideal for easy viewing of Pocket Excel, Outlook, Power Point, PDF files and Internet Explorer Web pages, while the keyboard enables consumers to complete tasks such as easily typing e-mail messages, taking notes or working on documents via Pocket Word.
"The i730 marks the continuation of Samsung, Verizon Wireless and Microsoft's strength in delivering a rich wireless experience that empowers people to be more productive on the move," said Peter Skarzynski, senior vice president, Samsung. "Samsung has employed an innovative form factor and developed a compact device that contains many integral productivity features complimenting Verizon Wireless's advanced EV-DO network capabilities and Microsoft's familiar and powerful Windows Mobile software."
"The i730 combines the familiarity of Windows Mobile software with the innovative design of Samsung that will be a popular choice for mobile professionals," said Suzan DelBene, vice president of marketing for the Mobile and Embedded Devices Division at Microsoft. "The i730 provides an integrated mobile solution for customers who are on-the-go and want access to their calendar, contacts and e-mail as well as a variety of applications and services that enable them to be more productive."
Additional specifications of Samsung's SCH-i730, featuring Microsoft's Windows Mobile Second Edition software include:
- Comprehensive Windows Mobile Support: Pocket MSN® Messenger, Microsoft Reader 2.0 for Pocket PC, Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft Pictures, and ActiveSync®
- Built-in Wi-Fi: Access the Internet from your local coffee shop or wherever you can find a hot spot
- SRS WOWTM Audio Built-in speakers offer consumers a rich listening experience
- Advanced Voice Recognition Voice technology allows consumers to dial numbers, find contacts and open applications with the sound of their voice
- Sprite Backup Application Personal information is protected with the i730's PIM software
- Personal Information Manager (PIM) Backup Application Personal information is never lost with the i730's PIM software
- Large Display The 240 x 320 pixel, 2.8", 65,000-color TFT touch-sensitive LCD display is capable of holding up to 17 lines of dynamically sized text
- Compact Design Measuring only 5.2 x 2.8 x 0.6 inches and weighing 5.5 ounces with a standard battery, the i730 fits easily into a suit pocket, purse or briefcase
- Speakerphone An integrated speakerphone means that consumers can enjoy hands-free use of the i730
- MP3 Player and 3D Audio Equalizer Plays digital music and provides rich bass and full sound with SRS WOW XTTM audio technology and built-in stereo speakers
- Advanced Memory Capabilities 64 MB RAM/128 MB Flash and an SD I/O expansion slot allow for scalable memory expansion
- High-Speed Processor The i730 is powered by an Intel® PXA 272 (520 MHz) processor
- Call Management Caller ID, voice mail, call forwarding, call waiting and call logs mean consumers always know who's on the line
- Removable Battery Perfect for road warriors, the i730's battery can be removed and replaced with a fully-charged battery while on-the-go, helping customers stay connected
- Built-in Bluetooth® Wireless Technology Supported profiles include: Service Discovery, file transfer, generic access, HandsFree, Mono Headset, Human Interface Device Bluetooth keyboard only, Object Exchange, Object Push, Serial Port and ActiveSync®
The i730 retails for $599.99 with a two-year customer agreement and will be available on July 7 in over 1,900 Verizon Wireless Communications stores including those in Circuit City as well as in Best Buy and select RadioShack stores nationwide. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 45.5 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, markets and develops wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, see STA's website at www.samsungusa.com/wireless.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2003 parent company sales of $36.4 billion and net income of $5.0 billion. Employing approximately 88,000 people in 89 offices in 46 countries, the company consists of six main business units: Corporate Technology Operations, Digital Appliance Business, Digital Media Business, LCD Business, Semiconductor Business and Telecommunication Network Business. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is the world's largest producer of color monitors, color TVs, memory chips, TFT-LCDs and VCRs. For more information, visit www.samsung.com.