CHARLOTTE, NC — Bell Atlantic Mobile, a corporate leader in the fight against domestic violence, and Motorola are donating 150 wireless phones during October's Domestic Violence Awareness Month to combat dating violence on North Carolina university campuses. This donation is the most recent effort of the company's "Wireless At Work" program, which assists victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Bell Atlantic Mobile has teamed up with the North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCCADV) to distribute these Motorola wireless phones to targeted universities across the state.
The phones will be presented to NCCADV on October 26, at an event to raise public awareness of domestic violence issues. The event will take place from 4 pm to 6 p.m., at the Bell Atlantic Mobile UNCC Communications Store at 8720 J.W. Clay Blvd., Charlotte. Representatives from the Shelter for Battered Women and the University of North Carolina Charlotte's Sexual Assault and Dating Violence Women's Programs will be attending to show support. NFL star Wesley Walls is also scheduled to make an appearance to help increase domestic violence awareness.
"By providing victims of dating violence on college campuses with wireless phones -- complete with a battery and charger, and equipped to dial 9-1-1 at the touch of a button -- Bell Atlantic Mobile and Motorola are providing a tool that provides some peace of mind and could also save lives," said Patty Neal Dorian, executive director of the North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence. "Both companies have recognized the crisis of domestic violence not only in homes, but on campuses and is putting its power and technology behind awareness and prevention."
NCCADV will donate the phones to women's assistance programs related to sexual assault and dating violence.
Among the North Carolina universities targeted for the donations are:
- Appalachian State University
- Duke University
- High Point University
- North Carolina State University in Raleigh
- University of North Carolina Asheville
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina Charlotte
- University of North Carolina Greensboro
- Wake Forest University
- Western Carolina University
"Domestic violence is a very real problem not only in homes, but on campuses throughout the United States," said Jerry Fountain, Southeast Region Vice President for Bell Atlantic Mobile. "Through our 'Wireless At Work' initiative, we have put essential communications tools in the hands of thousands who need a vital, reliable link to emergency services in times of crisis. We realize dating violence and sexual assault is a reality on campuses. It is our hope these phones will never have to be used. But if a victim feels threatened, they can rest assured that help will be on the way."
Bell Atlantic Mobile will also mark Domestic Violence Awareness Month by:
- Donating $25,000 to the Family Violence Prevention Fund for its National Workplace Resource Center on Domestic Violence, a groundbreaking collaboration between the fund, employers and unions across the country.
- Accepting used Bell Atlantic Mobile wireless phones, chargers and batteries during October at its Communications Stores in Charlotte. The phones will be refurbished and provided to local victims of domestic violence.
- Continuing to provide * HOPE, giving Bell Atlantic Mobile customers a direct link to the National Domestic Violence Hotline where they can receive advice on coping with abusive situations, when calling from within the company's coverage area from Maine to the Carolinas.
Editor's Note: Bell Atlantic Mobile owns and operates the largest wireless network in the East and systems in the Southwest, covering 180,000 square miles, and the largest chain of retail outlets devoted exclusively to wireless voice, data and paging. Based in Bedminster, NJ, Bell Atlantic Mobile has 6.6 million customers and 8,000 employees from Maine to Georgia and in parts of Arizona, New Mexico and west Texas. Through its "Wireless at Work..." community service program, the company uses its technology to help individuals and communities improve security and emergency communications. Bell Atlantic Mobile's parent, Bell Atlantic Corporation (NYSE:BEL) is one of the world's largest wireless communications companies, with domestic operations in 25 states and international investments in Mexico, Europe and the Pacific Rim. For more information on Bell Atlantic Mobile visit: www.bam.com; on global operations visit: www.bellatlantic.com/worldwide.