CEDAR RAPIDS, IA — After investing more than $8 million in its local wireless network, Verizon Wireless today announced the launch of digital wireless service in Cedar Rapids with contiguous coverage to Iowa City, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque. The availability of digital service offers Verizon Wireless consumer and business customers a long list of features including Caller ID, text messaging, superior voice quality, longer battery life and enhanced privacy and security.
Customers in Eastern Iowa can also signup for Verizon Wireless' Mobile Web SM, which provides easy-to-use wireless access to the Internet and the option to customize the information delivered to web-enabled digital handsets. Mobile Web customers can access e-mail, stocks, news, weather, and horoscopes or find the nearest ATM, movie theatre or restaurant all from their Verizon Wireless phones.
Also available is Verizon Wireless' Mobile MessengerSM, the company's new two-way text messaging service, which allows users to stay in touch easily and quietly by swapping messages via their digital wireless handsets. Messages can be sent from another Verizon Wireless two-way messaging-capable handset, any Internet e-mail address or from www.msg.myvzw.com. Mobile Messenger offers a way to keep in touch with others whether in the movies, at the mall, in a restaurant, or in a meeting.
"We are excited about delivering all the benefits of digital service to area residents, particularly wireless Internet access," said Tim Wolfe, District Manager of Retail Sales for Iowa. "One example of the power of Mobile Web is the ability for customers to conduct comparison shopping to find the best price on items such as CD's, books or music by simply entering a product's bar code into their handset."
Now that both digital and analog service is available, Verizon Wireless customers with dual-mode or tri-mode phones will be able to take advantage of digital service immediately. At the same time, analog customers will continue to enjoy their existing coverage and have the option to upgrade to a digital phone to enjoy the features and benefits of digital service and to signup for Mobile Web or Mobile Messenger.
Eastern Iowa consumers will now have access to digital features at home and while traveling throughout the United States and can choose from Verizon Wireless' competitive twelve state SingleRateSM regional or 50-state SingleRate national calling plans. The company has invested $4 billion in expanding its high quality coast-to-coast network, which covers 96 of the top 100 markets in the United States. Verizon Wireless has been serving the Eastern Iowa area since 1988 (most recently as 360° Communications and ALLTEL).
Mobile Web Wireless Internet Service:
- Consumers can customize what they want to see on their handsets from their PCs or directly from their handset using the www.MYVZW.com web site.
- Users can establish text message alerts to notify them when specific information is available such as stock quotes or weather reports.
- Mobile Web service is available beginning at $6.95 per month with up to 100 text messages or with a one-month free trial for the $8.95 (200 messages) and $12.95 (600 messages) plans. Accessing the Internet uses the customers calling plan minutes.
Mobile Messenger Service:
- The service allows customers to send and receive text messages of 120 character length quickly by just tapping the keypad on their wireless phone or receive messages via the Internet.
- There's no need to subscribe, since any Verizon Wireless customer with a two-way text messaging-capable phone can just "pay as they go" at a cost of 2 cents for messages received and 10 cents for messages sent.
- To introduce Mobile Messenger to customers, Verizon Wireless will waive all messaging fees until June 1, 2001.
- Two Mobile Messenger packages are available, one priced at $2.99 for 100 received or sent messages; and the second priced at $7.99 for 600 received or sent messages.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with 27.5 million wireless voice and data customers. The new coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Bell Atlantic Corp. and GTE Corp -- now Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) -- and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). The new company includes the assets of Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless, PrimeCo Personal Communications and AirTouch Paging. The company has a footprint covering nearly 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets. Verizon Wireless, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 38,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.
To update your profile or remove yourself from automatic News Delivery, please visit the Verizon Wireless Customized News Service Center.