ANNAPOLIS, MD — As boating season kicks into high gear, Verizon Wireless wants to remind boaters that it offers a direct connection to the U.S. Coast Guard by dialing *CG (*24) from any Verizon Wireless phone. There is no special access fee to use *CG. Airtime is deducted from customers' calling plan minute allowance.
"Our extensive marine coverage gives boaters another reliable means of communication while on the water that increases convenience and enhances safety and security," said Patrick Devlin, Verizon Wireless president in the Washington-Baltimore-Virginia region. "While VHF-FM maritime channel 16 should be used as the primary means for reporting an emergency, boaters can use *CG to get help or to pass along information about a navigational hazard that could endanger other boats."
Just as wireless users are encouraged to act responsibly when driving and using their phones onshore, boaters should keep safety in mind when navigating and speaking on the phone. Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for boaters:
- Safe boating should be your first priority.
- Make sure your phone is positioned where it is easy to see and reach.
- Use the speed dialing features on your phone to program frequently called numbers.
- Let your wireless network's voice mail pick up your calls when you're unable to answer the phone. If you're heading into a navigational hazard, it's easy to retrieve your messages later.
- Use your wireless phone to notify those on shore of your whereabouts and destination.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 27 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.