GAINESVILLE, TX — To enhance network quality and wireless coverage across Texas, Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless service provider, activated seven new cell towers in the Gainesville area in the fourth quarter of 2003. The new towers will provide customers with improved wireless coverage and capacity, faster data transfer rates, and fewer dropped calls when using a Verizon Wireless handset or data device.
In 2003, the company invested $194 million and activated a total of 217 new towers in Texas, providing customers with access to the most extensive wireless voice and data network in the United States. Over the past three years, Verizon Wireless has invested $12 billion nationwide in network improvements.
"We've seen strong wireless growth in Gainesville, and the activation of these new cell towers in the area reflects our dedication to anticipating the demands on our wireless network and providing the highest overall quality of service to our customers," said David McCarley, executive director of network for Verizon Wireless' Texas region.
The following cell towers were added to enhance coverage in Gainesville:
- Located between Saint Jo and Nocona along U.S. Highway 82, a new cell tower will enhance coverage along the highway as well as the town of Bonita. Coverage will reach as far north as F.M. Road 1956 and as far south as Starkey Road.
- One cell tower was activated in Nocona to improve coverage along U.S. Highway 82 from Bonita to the intersection of U.S. Highway 82 and F.M. Road 1816.
- A new tower will provide coverage to the city of Belcherville located halfway between Ringgold and Nocona, as well as provide coverage on U.S. Highway 82 from Nocona to the intersection of Worsham Road and Highway 82. This tower will also cover as far north to the Red River and south to Dutton Road.
- Located near Lindsay and west of Gainesville, a cell tower will provide coverage to the town of Lindsay as well as U.S. Highway 82 between Gainesville and Muenster. The cell tower will cover as far south as County Road 352 and as far north as County Road 418.
- A cell tower was activated to enhance coverage in Muenster and on U.S. Highway 82 between Lindsay and Saint Jo.
- Located east of Saint Jo, the tower will provide coverage in Saint Jo and on U.S. Highway 82 between Bonita and Muenster.
- A new tower located in Gainesville north of U.S. Highway 82 will enhance coverage to northern Gainesville, bounded by the Red River, Lindsay, County Road 151 and East California Street.
"We continue to make significant investments in our network because our customers tell us that network quality is the number one reason they choose Verizon Wireless," said McCarley. "Superior network quality is even more important now that customers can switch wireless service providers and take their number with them."
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 37.5 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com.