LAS VEGAS, NV — Verizon Wireless, the nation's leading wireless service provider, and LG Mobile Phones today announced the February 1, 2005 availability of the LG VX8000 phone, the first handset in the United States for consumers that runs on Verizon Wireless' EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) 3G network. The VX8000, available exclusively to Verizon Wireless customers, will provide access to VCAST, the nation's only 3G consumer multimedia service, allowing Verizon Wireless customers to be the first in the nation to use their handsets to view video clips from major news, sports and entertainment brands and play three-dimensional games.
The new 3G-capable VX8000 phone is the pinnacle of a visual entertainment handset, enhanced by the high-speed data capabilities of EV-DO technology and the new VCAST service, available to Verizon Wireless customers in 30 markets in less than one month, that allows them to view current news, weather, sports and entertainment video updates and play cutting edge three-dimensional games. The VX8000 features Video on Demand for playing video clips and Music on Demand capabilities for playing audio clips, when available. Movie buffs, music fans and everyone in between can download content on their mobile phones with just a few clicks, with clarity and sharpness never before seen on mobile phones in the United States. The VX8000 also features video messaging capabilities customers can take up to 15 seconds of video with the VX8000's integrated 1.3 mega-pixel camera and send their clips to any email address. With the VX8000, family and friends stay connected and share their experiences every day, as they happen.
For capturing the rapid-fire pace of life in the information age on video and in pictures, the VX8000 features the first integrated CCD 1.3 mega-pixel camera from LG Mobile Phones. The VX8000's integrated camera features flash and a macro mode feature with four digital zoom settings for shooting close-up video and still images. Aspiring photographers and filmmakers can compose and view their shots with large internal 262K TFT color LCD screens, and share them with Verizon Wireless' Picture Messaging service. In addition to next generation EV-DO access and mega-pixel digital camera, the VX8000 also includes all the must-have mobile phone features that users have come to expect from LG, including speaker phone, a 500 contact phone book that stores up to five phone numbers and two email addresses per contact, MIDI sound, personal organizer and more. Designed in a sleek silver clamshell, and weighing in at less than four ounces, the VX8000 has the accelerated style to match its advanced capabilities.
"The launch of the VX8000 signals the arrival of the next generation of mobile handsets," said Mr. Juno Cho, president, LG Mobile Phones. "Verizon Wireless' EV-DO network and its new VCAST service gives mobile phone users the power to bring the world to their phones with high-speed multimedia access, and the flagship VX8000 handset offers the advanced capabilities necessary to support this new world of instantly accessible entertainment and information."
Additional features of the Verizon Wireless VX8000 by LG include:
- All Digital (1.9 GHz, 800 MHz CDMA)
- Dimensions: 3.76" (H) X 1.97" (W) X 0.93" (D)
- Weight: 3.88 oz.
- Standard Battery: Lithium-Ion Polymer, 1,100 mAh
- Usage Time: 280 Minutes (Digital) / Standby 185 Hours (Digital)*
- 1X EV-DO for High-Speed Data Transmission
- CCD Type 1.3 Mega-pixel with flash (Photo Cell)
- 4x Digital Zoom with Macro Mode for Extreme Close-Ups
- Resolution Adjustment (160 X 120; 176 X 144; 320 X 240; 640 X 480; 1280 X 960)
- Self Timer (3, 5 or 10 seconds)
- Video Messaging send and receive 15-second video clips
- Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) - send and receive messages comprised of a combination of text, sounds, photos and video clips
- VCAST-capable, allowing customers to receive Video on Demand (VOD) of news, sports, entertainment, weather and much more
- Video Clips Encoded in MPEG format (Qualcomm-based technology - file extension: .3G2)
- Computer playback for clips requires QuickTime 6.5
- Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) - send and receive text messages with graphics and sound
- Two-Way Short Messaging Service (SMS)
- Mobile Instant Messaging (IM) AOL, MSN & Yahoo
- External Color LCD: 262K Color TFT, 128x160 Pixels, 10 lines of text
- Internal Color LCD: 262K Color TFT, 176x220 Pixels, 11 lines of text
- Web Browser Openwave Wap 2.0
- CMX MIDI for Polyphonic Ringers and Sound Capabilities
- 20 Unique Ringtones (Plus Vibrate & Silent Alert)
- Multiparty/Conference Calling - Up to 3 callers
- Call History: (Outgoing- 20, Incoming-20, Missed-20)
- Auto Redial, Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling
- Innovative, Stylish Clamshell
- Blue Backlit Keypad & 5 Way Navigation Key
- Speed Dialing (99 Entries)
- Personal Organizer: Calendar with Scheduler, 30 Voice Memos (up to 1 minute each), and Notepad
- Tools: Alarm Clock, EZ Tip Calc, Calculator, and World Clock
- Address book with 500 contact each stores 5 numbers, 2 email addresses and picture ID
- Speaker Phone
- External USB Capable
- E911 Emergency Location Capable
- Customizable Wallpapers, Theme & Font Colors
- English and Spanish User Interface
- TTY/TDD Capable
- T9 Text Input
* Certain features may use more power & cause standby & talk times to vary.
The LG VX8000 will be available for $199.99 after $70.00 mail-in rebate with a two-year customer agreement at more than 1,200 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores nationwide, Circuit City stores, participating RadioShack locations or on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com beginning on February 1, 2005.
For more information about Verizon Wireless' products and services, visit www.verizonwireless.com. For more information about LG Mobile Phones, visit www.lgusa.com.
(EDITORS: Print-quality high resolution stills of the LG VX8000 phone are available online. Log on to Verizon Wireless' Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia to preview and request images.)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 42.1 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About LG Electronics, Inc.
LG Electronics, Inc. (CEO: S.S. Kim, 06657.KS) was established in 1958 as the pioneer in the Korean consumer electronics market. The company is a major global force in electronics and information and communications products with more than 64,000 employees working in 75 overseas subsidiaries and marketing units around the world. With annual total revenues of more than US US$29.9 billion (consolidated), LG Electronics comprises three main business companies: Digital Display & Media, Digital Appliance, and Telecommunication Equipment & Handset.
The LG Telecommunication Equipment & Handset Company provides total solutions ranging from wired and wireless handsets to telecommunication equipment. The company is a leader in the innovation and development of cutting -edge technologies in next-generation wireless telecommunications and is steadily expanding its global market share in 3G (WCDMA / cdma2000) wireless systems.
LG Electronics' goal is to enable the intelligent networking of digital products that will make consumers' lives better than ever. For more information, please visit www.lge.com.