BEDMINSTER, NJ and NEW ORLEANS, LA — From the CTIA Wireless 2005 show in New Orleans, Verizon Wireless, the nation's leader in wireless consumer multimedia services, said today its new V CAST 3G wireless broadband multimedia service is exceeding expectations as an indispensable new infotainment resource. V CAST delivers crystal clear short content on-demand, 3D games and music videos to wireless phones from leading and respected news and entertainment sources and other innovative content providers.
"We are tremendously pleased with the success of V CAST," said Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless. "The first day V CAST became available, our customers turned to their new phones for news and entertainment. V CAST gives them their favorite music, movies, sports, news and games in the palms of their hands and unlike other wireless video and multimedia services available today, V CAST is smooth and clear. As far as 3G services for consumers are concerned, Verizon Wireless hasn't just raised the bar we've vaulted over it."
V CAST runs on the Verizon Wireless broadband EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) 3G network, delivering the fastest widely available broadband wireless data experience in the nation. With V CAST, customers can access applications only imagined just a year ago.
"With V CAST, Verizon Wireless has created a brand new consumer space," said John Stratton, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. "Because of our relentless network investment, the tremendous content from providers like NBC Universal, CNN, ESPN, Twentieth Television, E! Entertainment and FOX Sports, Verizon Wireless is delivering services today that consumers can't get anywhere else."
"Verizon Wireless brings 3G services to life with the launch of V CAST and the build out of its 3G network," said, Jeff Kagan, an independent telecom analyst based in Atlanta. "Verizon Wireless has set the stage for wireless multimedia to explode this year."
V CAST Facts
Just six weeks into its February 1 launch, V CAST is attracting consumers to view cool content in a host of categories. Some interesting facts about the most popular V CAST applications, videos and phones since launch include:
- An interview with Will Smith about his role in the hit-movie "Hitch" has been the most watched video on NBC Mobile.
- Updated hourly, CNNtoGO's most viewed video clip is its "Now in the News" fast-paced rundown of the top stories from around the globe.
- The forecast for Los Angeles has been AccuWeather's most viewed metropolitan forecast.
- The V CAST Showcase Channel is the most popular destination in the Entertainment category.
- "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" video clips are the most viewed Comedy Central content.
- "24: Conspiracy" ranks as the most-viewed V CAST mobisode.
- A duet between Ray Charles and Elmo has been the most popular clip on Sesame Street.
- The most-watched NBA game highlight video has been from the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers game on March 2 in Boston.
- ESPN's most watched daily video sports program has been Friday Playback.
- V CAST customers can view a selection of music videos including the following:
- Jason Mraz You and I Both
- Michelle Branch Breathe
- Alanis Morissette Everything
- Trapt Headstrong
The fastest selling V CAST-enabled phone is the LG VX8000.
V CAST's array of multimedia programming is located in the getFLIX shopping aisle of the Get It Now virtual store, right on V CAST-equipped phones. Video clips are refreshed throughout the day and run 30 seconds to three minutes long. Customers can check out new cutting-edge 3D games in the getGAMES aisle.
V CAST offers customers mobile news, weather, entertainment and 3D games all in the palms of their hands from the following categories:
- NBC Mobile (NBC Universal) - breaking news, interview excerpts, weather updates and political analyses from highly respected NBC News correspondents.
- CNNtoGO Video (Cable News Network) hourly news updates and short content from CNN NewsPass and CNN Now in the News (formerly CNN Quickcast).
- MarketWatch (Dow Jones & Company) business and financial news with market updates, features and interviews.
- AccuWeather (Accuweather.com) national, regional and localized forecasts and breaking weather news.
- ESPN (ESPN) college basketball and football highlights, sports news and information, game analysis and reporting from ESPN experts and personalities.
- FOX Sports (Fox Sports Interactive Media) deep regional and national sports coverage of every major pro and college team, including select highlights, interviews and press conferences, plus short video clips from the best of Fox Sports Net programming such as "Beyond the Glory," "Poker Superstars" and the "Best Damn Sports Show Period."
- NBA TV (NBA) video highlights of NBA games throughout the remainder of the 2004-05 NBA season, including the NBA Playoffs and The Finals. Content from NBA TV is premium content, available for $0.49 per video clip.
- NASCAR.COM TO GO (Digital Orchid) regularly updated NASCAR.com video clips, including everything from behind the scenes footage of racing action to top notch driver interviews. Content from NASCAR.COM TO GO is premium content, available for $0.99 per video clip.
- VH1 (MTV Networks) including short content from "Best Week Ever."
- Comedy Central (MTV Networks) including short content from "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."
- E! Entertainment Television (E! Entertainment Television) short content from E! News, The Awful Truth®, Fashion Police, Watch with Kristin, Red Carpet Moments, E! TV Highlights and more.
- Just For Laughs (Airborne Entertainment) Just For Laughs Gags, Just For Laughs Offbeat and Just For Laughs Stand-Up Series.
- Sesame Street (Sesame Workshop) memorable clips and classic songs featuring the Muppets from Sesame Street.
- CinemaElectric (Portable Hollywood, Electric Catwalk and Smash Brain Sports) movies and celebrities, fashion and shopping, action sports original programming made for mobile phones.
- V CAST Showcase (Verizon Wireless) includes a variety of short content: movie previews, DVD previews and short content from network television daytime and prime time programs. V CAST Showcase also features Mobile Shows, such as:
- "24: Conspiracy" (Twentieth Century Fox Television)
- "Sunset Hotel" (Twentieth Television)
- "Love & Hate" (Twentieth Television)
- Music Videos from new stars and legendary artists. Music Videos on V CAST are premium content, available for $3.99 per music video. Titles rotate weekly.
- Asphalt: Urban GT (Gameloft) $2.99 monthly access or $9.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- AMF® XtremeTM 3D Bowling (Vir2L Studios and Superscape) $2.49 monthly access or $8.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- Evel Knievel 3D (Superscape) $2.49 monthly access or $8.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- Disney's Kingdom Hearts 3D Mobile (Walt Disney Internet Group) $4.99 monthly access.
- S.W.A.T. The Movie: 3D Game (Sony Pictures Mobile) $2.99 monthly access or $9.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- Spider-Man 2TM3D: NY Rooftops (Sony Pictures Mobile) $2.99 monthly access or $9.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- JAMDAT 3D Bowling (JAMDAT) $2.49 monthly access or $8.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- 3D Beach Mini Golf (Digital Chocolate) $2.99 monthly access or $8.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- 3D Swerve Basketball (Superscape) - $2.49 monthly access or $9.99 for unlimited use purchase.
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (Gameloft) - $2.99 monthly access or $9.99 for unlimited use purchase.
V CAST also gives customers monthly access and unlimited airtime to browse applications in the other familiar Get It Now shopping aisles such as getTONES and getGOING but application download fees still apply.
For $15.00 monthly access added to their Verizon Wireless calling plan, customers get the V CAST VPak which includes unlimited access to a wide array of more than 300 regularly updated video clips from leading news, sports, weather and entertainment content providers. There are no airtime charges to download, stream or watch V CAST content. Unlimited basic short content is included, but application download fees still apply for 3D games, premium short content, and all other Get It Now® applications. For a limited time, customers who sign up for V CAST receive two months of service free. Customers can also download, stream or watch premium short content, available at additional cost that include music videos and more.
Customers can access V CAST on three new phones: the LG VX8000 is available for $199.99, the Samsung a890 is available for $249.99 and the CDM8940 from UTStarcom Personal Communications (formerly Audiovox Communications Corp.) is available for $229.99, all prices are after a $70 rebate with a two-year customer agreement.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
(EDITORS NOTE: Broadcast-quality B-Roll and high-resolution stills of V CAST from Verizon Wireless are available online. Log on to Verizon Wireless' Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia to preview and request video segments, which can be received in newsrooms digitally, by tape or via satellite, or to request images.)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 43.8 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
NOTE: This press release contains statements about expected future events and financial results that are forward-looking and subject to risks and uncertainties. For those statements, we claim the protection of the safe harbor for forward-looking statements contained in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The following important factors could affect future results and could cause those results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements: materially adverse changes in economic conditions in the markets served by us, an adverse change in the ratings afforded our debt securities or those of Verizon Communications by nationally accredited ratings organizations, the effects of the substantial competition that exists in our markets, which has been intensifying, and which may intensify further as a result of local number portability regulations that allow wireless customers to retain their phone numbers when switching wireless service providers, our ability to obtain sufficient financing to satisfy our substantial capital requirements, including to fund capital expenditures, debt repayment and distributions to our owners, our ability to obtain sufficient spectrum licenses, particularly in our most densely populated areas, our ability to develop future business opportunities, including wireless data services, and to continue to adapt to the changing conditions in the wireless industry, our ability to receive satisfactory service from our key vendors and suppliers, our ability to generate additional subscribers, with acceptable levels of churn, from resellers and distributors of our service, material changes in available technology, and technology substitution that could impact the popularity and usage of our technology, our continued provision of satisfactory service to our subscribers at an acceptable cost, in order to reduce churn, the impact of continued unionization efforts with respect to our employees, regulatory developments, including new regulations that could increase our cost of doing business or reduce demand for our services, developments in connection with existing or future litigation, and changes in our accounting assumptions that regulatory agencies, including the SEC, may require or that result from changes in the accounting rules or their application, which could result in an impact on earnings.