SOUTHFIELD, MI — The Verizon Foundation today announced it has awarded $65,000 in grants to help meet increased educational and social services needs across metropolitan Detroit. Each grant supports at least one of the Verizon Foundation's principal areas of focus: literacy, domestic violence prevention and technology.
The following five organizations received grants:
- Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills ($30,000): To support its Interactive Distance Learning program, in which the institute delivers innovative, high-quality educational science programs to school districts across the nation using interactive video conferencing technology.
- The Children's Center of Wayne County Inc. in Detroit ($10,000): To help build literacy skills by tutoring children at risk for academic failure and by focusing on three initiatives: increasing self confidence, encouraging positive, can-do thinking and attitudes, and increasing academic achievement.
- Wayne State University in Detroit ($10,000): To support a tutoring program for at-risk Detroit youth that includes evaluating students' eye movements during the process of reading to identify specific related difficulties.
- HAVEN in Bloomfield Hills ($10,000): To help streamline and update the organization's computer and software systems currently used to track staff time and client data. The upgraded technology will enable HAVEN to be more efficient in assisting clients and measuring and analyzing statistical and demographic data.
- Turning Point Inc. in Mount Clemens ($5,000): To upgrade technology that will create a central case management database for tracking client information and services rendered. This improvement will help the organization operate more efficiently.
For more information on the Verizon Foundation or to apply for a grant, visit www.verizon.com/foundation.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 57 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 60,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.