LINCOLN, NE — Verizon Wireless has activated eight new cell sites as part of a continuing expansion plan to improve both network coverage and capacity in the city of Lincoln, Nebraska, and surrounding areas. The network expansion allows customers to use their wireless phones to make calls; send and receive e-mail and TXT, Picture and Video Messages; and download games and Ring Tones while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
"These new cell sites represent our ongoing commitment to invest in our network in Nebraska, particularly in Lincoln," said Nancy B. Clark, presidentGreat Plains Region, Verizon Wireless. "During 2007, we will add additional cell sites in Lincoln to meet the growing needs of our customers and to provide them with the reliable, high-quality service they expect from Verizon Wireless."
In December and January, eight new cell sites were activated to extend coverage throughout Lincoln. The following is a breakdown of new coverage:
- Near the intersection of Highway 6 and Interstate 80
- Near the Pine Lake Golf Club, extending as far south as Highway 2 and as far east as 112th Street
- Near the Country Club of Lincoln, including City of Lincoln offices (W. Van Dorn Street and S. 17th Street) and Lincoln General Hospital
- Near the intersection of Interstate 80 and the Homestead Expressway (Highway 77)
- Around St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center and Seacrest Park.
- Around Wilderness Park, along the Homestead Expressway
- Around University Place and the campuses of Nebraska Wesleyan University and the University of Nebraska-East
- Near the intersection of O Street and N. 48th Street
Verizon Wireless, a long-time provider of wireless service in the Omaha area, expanded its network and retail operations to Lincoln in January 2006. Last year, the company invested $27.5 million to enhance and maintain its Nebraska network and grew its Lincoln network by 55 percent. In December, Verizon Wireless unveiled plans to open an 800-employee customer care center in Lincoln in late 2007.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.