ROCHESTER, NY — Verizon Wireless reaffirmed its commitment to the Upstate New York communities it serves by awarding grants exceeding $112,000 to domestic violence prevention and literacy organizations across the region in 2006. The grants were made possible through funding from Verizon Wireless' HopeLine® community relations program and the Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications.
- Through HopeLine, Verizon Wireless helped support organizations that focus on domestic violence prevention and awareness in their communities by awarding more than $37,000 in grants to the following organizations:
- Alternatives for Battered Women (Rochester): $23,500 to fund domestic violence outreach and education programs to public schools, colleges and youth groups.
- Family Justice Center of Erie County (Buffalo): $5,000 to fund their forensic medical documentation program.
- Chances and Changes of Livingston County (Rochester): $5,000 to fund improvements to their shelter and security system.
- YWCA of Mohawk Valley (Utica): $2,500 to fund their DOVE domestic violence education program.
- Rape and Abuse Crisis Service of the Finger Lakes (Penn Yan): $1,250 to fund their domestic violence outreach and education programs.
- As part of the company's partnership with the Buffalo Bills, Verizon Wireless awarded $10,000 from HopeLine to domestic violence prevention programs in the Buffalo area. Recipients include:
- Hispanos Unidos de Buffalo: $2,000 to support bilingual domestic violence and court advocacy programs.
- Salvation Army of Buffalo: $2,000 for emergency shelter, counseling and education programs.
- YWCA of Western New York: $2,000 to support its transitional/supportive housing for abused women.
- YWCA of the Tonawandas: $2,000 for individual counseling, support groups and shelter.
- Family and Children's Services Passage Program: $2,000 to provide individual and group support for family members dealing with domestic violence.
- In conjunction with the Verizon Foundation, Verizon Wireless awarded grants totaling $65,000 to domestic violence prevention and literacy programs in the Rochester area. Recipients include:
- Urban League: $25,000 as part of a statewide grant to support a holistic literacy program, including basic reading and math, as well as financial and health literacy.
- Salvation Army of Rochester: $20,000 to support emergency shelter services for women and children who have been victimized by domestic violence.
- Alternatives for Battered Women: $7,500 to support domestic violence outreach and education programs to public schools, colleges and youth groups.
- Norman Howard School: $7,500 to support an interactive and experiential reading-based American history curriculum for middle school students.
- Wilson Commencement Park: $5,000 to support the Early Learning Center for parents and children.
"We recognize the good works these organizations perform to promote healthy, safe relationships and to improve literacy in our communities," said Marquett Smith, president of Verizon Wireless' Upstate New York region. "We're proud to support them and we look forward to seeing the positive effect they have on the individuals they serve."
Verizon Wireless is a recognized corporate leader in the effort to end domestic violence. Through its HopeLine program, the company works with local domestic violence organizations to raise awareness of this important community issue and to provide survivors with a lifeline to help in an emergency situation. Marking its 12th year in 2007, HopeLine collects wireless phones and accessories from any wireless service provider, and then refurbishes the phones or recycles them in an environmentally friendly way. Proceeds from the HopeLine program benefit victims of domestic violence and non-profit advocacy agencies, providing essential communication tools of wireless phones and wireless services, and financial grants. Phone donations are accepted at all 1,200-plus Verizon Wireless Stores across the country. For additional information, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.