SAVANNAH, GA — Savannah Waterfront Association today announced that Verizon Wireless has signed on as the official presenting sponsor for the 2007 Savannah River Street Festivals and events.
"We are thrilled to have Verizon Wireless as our presenting sponsor for all of the Savannah River Street Festivals and events," said Bill Dickinson, president, Savannah Waterfront Association Board of Directors. "Securing a company of Verizon Wireless' caliber reinforces once again that the city of Savannah, and specifically the River Street district, continues to be a highly desirable destination for residents, tourists and the business community."
The Savannah Waterfront Association is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization whose purpose is the preservation and promotion of historic River Street. For past 30 years, the association has been the primary representative of the River Street area merchants. Acting as liaison with the City of Savannah and Chatham County, the Savannah Waterfront Association represents the merchants' interests in business and civic affairs such as traffic, refuse, and safety.
"The Savannah area is thriving, and we are excited to bolster our presence in this growing community," said Jeff Mango, president - Georgia/Alabama region for Verizon Wireless. "Verizon Wireless is committed to supporting our customers both in technology and community ventures. We are proud to team up with a deep-seated community organization such as the Savannah Waterfront Association."
In October, Verizon Wireless rolled out its wireless broadband service across the Savannah area, giving southeastern Georgia customers access to the latest high-speed business and entertainment services on their wireless phones, laptop computers and other wireless devices. The technology allows customers to utilize the latest high-speed business and entertainment services on their wireless phones, laptop computers and other wireless devices.
Verizon Wireless has invested $35 billion in the last seven years - $5 billion on average every year since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. In Georgia and Alabama, Verizon Wireless invested more than $200 million in network enhancements and expansion to stay ahead of the growing demand for Verizon Wireless products and services in this area.
The Savannah Waterfront Association kicked off this new sponsorship with the First Saturday on the River Festival on March 2. This festival features more than 50 regional arts & crafts vendors offering a variety of unique and original works as well as entertainment the first Saturday of the month. All River Street Festivals are free and open to the public.
Other Savannah River Street Festivals and events include:
- First Friday Fireworks on the River Takes place every first Friday of the month through the rest of the year.
- First Saturday on the River Arts and Craft Series Takes place on the first Saturday of the months of April, June, July, August, September and December.
- St. Patrick's Day on the River March 16 - 18 This nationally recognized festival is expected to have more than 500,000 in attendance and will feature two stages of non-stop live entertainment with Celtic, Country, Rock, Pop & Alternative music, plus interactive games, food, cold beverages and days of great green fun.
- Fine Arts on the River May 4 6 This high-end event will include fine art, music, demonstrations, children's crafting area, and wine.
- Fantastic 4th of July on the River July 4 Come celebrate the Fourth of July River Street style with live entertainment, ice cream eating contest and fireworks.
- Oktoberfest on the River October 5 7 This 24th Annual Festival features live entertainment, German food, games, regional arts & crafts and fireworks.
- The Haunting of River Street October 31 Come celebrate Halloween down by the river and participate in the adult costume contest to win great prizes.
- Savannah Seafood Festival Nov. 2 4 This 26th Annual Festival will feature live entertainment, tons of fresh seafood, games, regional arts & crafts and fireworks.
- Christmas on the River and Lighted Parade December 1 Includes first Saturday festivities as well as regional arts & crafts and live holiday entertainment highlights along with a unique shopping experience.
For more information, please call the Savannah Waterfront Association at 912-234-0295, e-mail email@example.com or visit our website at www.riverstreetsavannah.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.