ALPHARETTA, GA — Verizon Wireless, the only major carrier with a 30-day network test-drive pledge that pays for calls if a customer isn't satisfied and switches to another carrier, announced today the continued investment to enhance and expand its most reliable wireless network across Georgia. In the first quarter of this year, the company continued its ongoing network investment across the Georgia and Alabama region spending nearly $100 million, adding 15 new cell sites across Georgia, and continuing to expand its' Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) third generation (3G) wide-area network. With the availability of the new wireless broadband network, Verizon Wireless customers can enjoy two of the company's flagship services: BroadbandAccess, the company's enhanced high-speed wireless service geared toward mobile professionals and business customers; and V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that offers music and cutting-edge 3D games, and news, entertainment, music, weather and sports videos. In addition, Verizon Wireless opened five new company-owned stores in Georgia in the first quarter, bringing the number of retail locations statewide to 86. New stores were added in Kennesaw, Hiram, LaGrange and two in the city of Atlanta on Howell Mill Road and Ponce de Leon Road. In the first quarter of 2007, new cell towers were added in the following Georgia cities:
- Atlanta New tower improves digital coverage in the dense residential area between Ponce DeLeon, North Decatur and Oakhurst areas
- College Park Provides coverage to the hotels on Sullivan Road
- Alpharetta Provides capacity relief to Haynes Bridge area and Northpoint Parkway around the mall and nearby shopping plazas
- Cornelia Provides coverage for in-building and retail businesses in the downtown Cornelia area
- Albany Provides capacity relief to the town of Albany and better in-building coverage along Dawson Road
- Flovilla Improves coverage for the Flovilla, Indian Springs and Indian Springs Park area southeast of Jackson on US23
- Dahlonega Improves coverage along Highway 19 north of Dahlonega
- Dalton Extends service along US 76 and improves coverage in the North Dalton area along Cleveland Highway (SR 71)
- Bainbridge Provides capacity relief to neighboring Bethel Road and Bainbridge areas
- Forsyth - Provides coverage along Hwy 23 and Hwy 83
- White Plains Provides coverage at the Reynolds Plantation, Ritz Carlton, the Cottages and the NW area of Lake Oconee
- Butler Provides coverage to the town of Rupert and along US 19 between Butler and Ellaville.
- Shellman Provides coverage to the town of Shellman and also along US 82 between Cuthbert and Dawson
- Ideal Provides coverage to the town of Ideal and along SR 90 between Rupert and Oglethorpe
- Powelton Provides coverage between Sparta and I-20 along Hwy 22
In addition, increased capacity was added to existing towers in the following Georgia cities, allowing for more call completions and greater call quality: Camilla, downtown Savannah, Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, Georgia National Fairgrounds in Perry, Dalton, Jasper, Soperton and Sandersville.
"We're committed to providing the highest quality of service to our customers," said Jeff Mango, President Verizon Wireless Georgia/Alabama Region. "By continually enhancing and expanding our network coverage and capacity across Georgia, we are able to meet the growing voice and data needs of our business and consumer customers. Wireless users in Georgia demand the best network, products and customer service and we're committed to delivering it all."
Verizon Wireless has invested $35 billion in the last seven years - $5 billion on average every year since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. The company's most reliable wireless network claim is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women who inspired the company's national advertising campaign. These engineers conduct more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data test annually on Verizon Wireless' and other national carriers' networks while traveling almost 1 million miles in specially equipped, company owned test vehicles.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.