ATLANTIC CITY, NJ — As boating season kicks into high gear, Verizon Wireless wants to remind boaters in the Atlantic City and surrounding areas that it offers a direct connection to the U. S. Coast Guard by dialing *CG (24) from any Verizon Wireless phone. There is no charge for the service to Verizon Wireless customers throughout South Jersey.
"Our marine coverage gives boaters another means of communications while on the water that increases convenience and enhances safety and security," said Christine Baron, president, Verizon Wireless Philadelphia Tri-State region. "While VHF-FM maritime channel 16 should be used as the primary means for reporting an emergency, boaters can use *CG to get help or to pass along information about a navigational hazard that could endanger other boats."
Verizon Wireless reminds all wireless customers to use their phones responsibly. Just as drivers are encouraged to act reasonably when using their phones onshore, boaters should keep safety in mind when navigating and speaking on the phone.
Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for boaters:
- Responsible boating should be your first priority.
- Make sure your phone is positioned where it is easy to see and reach.
- Use the speed dialing features on your phone to program frequently called numbers.
- Let your wireless network's voicemail or text messaging pick up your calls when you're unable to answer the phone. If you're heading into a navigational hazard, it's easy to retrieve your messages later.
- Use your wireless phone to notify those on shore of your whereabouts and destination.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 60.7 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 66,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.