PHILADELPHIA, PA — Verizon Wireless announced today it has invested more than $190 million in 2007 to enhance its digital network in the Philadelphia region. The enhancements included building new and upgrading existing cell sites, increasing coverage area, and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to many new markets. The company also expanded its Wilmington, Del., Mobile Telephone Switching Office, a facility housing the electronics that run much of Verizon Wireless' network in Delaware, southern New Jersey and portions of Philadelphia.
"Our mission in 2008 is to continue building our network so that our customers can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless phones," said Christine Baron, president of Verizon Wireless' Philadelphia region.
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $1 billion into its network across central and northeastern Pennsylvania, Greater Philadelphia, southern New Jersey, and Delaware, including the following upgrades made in 2007:
- One hundred and one new cell sites were activated across the region to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls. Equipment on 928 existing cell sites throughout the region was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Forty-eight permanent backup generators were installed or upgraded at cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 142 cell sites. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two key services:
- BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless' business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail, and critical business information residing behind their companies' firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3-D games found anywhere.
- A $30 million expansion and upgrade was completed at the company's Mobile Telephone Switching Offices (MTSO) in Wilmington, Del., further enhancing network reliability for customers in Delaware, southern New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The expansion including doubling the facility's size and equipment upgrades that enable greater call-processing capabilities to accommodate increasing customer demand.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.