CHEYENNE, WY — From north to south and east to west, Wyoming residents and visitors are making more wireless calls and data transmissions thanks to Verizon Wireless' $20 million network investment in 2007. That's an average of more than $54 thousand per day spent to provide customers in the state with the reliable, high quality service they expect from Verizon Wireless.
The company's ongoing network investment now totals more than $80 million in Wyoming and $44 billion nationally since the company was formed in 2000. The investment delivers enhanced coverage, call quality, network reliability and new services to enable customers to get more done wirelessly.
The upgrades include adding 10 new cell sites, updating many others and further improving backup power capabilities. The multi-million dollar investment also includes the expansion of the company's Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) broadband wireless data network to Bill, Chugwater, downtown Lander, Evanston, Glenrock, Jackson, Kemmerer, Lusk, Pine Bluffs, Rawlins, Torrington and Wheatland.
More specifically the network investments made last year in Wyoming are delivering:
Expanded coverage and call capacity
- Ten new cell sites throughout the state, including those that improved coverage in the communities of Gillette, Lander, Rock Springs, Worland and along I-90 near the towns of Rozet and Moorcroft.
- Network enhancements to keep ahead of the growth in the number of voice and data calls happening at the same time.
- Verizon Wireless' network technicians (who serve as the inspiration for the famous "It's the Network" ad campaign) traveled approximately 15,000 miles across the state last year. The technicians measure the quality of voice and data calls on the Verizon Wireless network and on other carriers' networks.
- An expanded, 70,000 square foot state-of-the-art switching center near Denver that processes voice and data communications for customers who live in and travel through Colorado and Wyoming.
- Additional generators and other equipment to provide backup power in the event of a commercial power failure.
- More customers across the state can now access high-speed wireless Internet, e-mail, mobile music and more. The high speed data network that enables both BroadbandAccess and V CAST services.
- The network expansion supported the introductions of many new wireless devices giving customers a comprehensive selection of music, multimedia, e-mail and voice services. In the fourth quarter the company introduced four flagship devices: the Juke by Samsung, the Venus by LG and The Voyager by LG, exclusive to Verizon Wireless; and the BlackBerry® Pearl smartphone.
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.