BIRMINGHAM, AL — In its ongoing effort to provide the best wireless service in Alabama, Verizon Wireless, owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, announced today that it invested more than $110 million in network expansion and enhancements in Alabama in 2007. During last year, Verizon Wireless built new and upgraded existing cell sites across the state, and continued the expansion of its' high-speed wireless broadband network to new markets.
"Our investment in Alabama demonstrates our ongoing commitment to provide our customers with a network that is reliable and the most advanced services and technologies," says Jeff Mango, president Verizon Wireless Alabama/Georgia region. "Our mission in 2008 is to continue enhancing our network so that our customers can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless device."
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $339 million on improvements to its network in Alabama since 2002, including the following upgrades made in 2007:
- There were 91 new cells activated statewide to improve network capacity and coverage, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- In addition, equipment on 118 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network across Alabama, including the following cities: Dothan, Auburn/Opelika area, Jasper, and Florence. In addition to these areas, Verizon Wireless expanded its coverage along two of the most heavily traveled routes in central Alabama: on I-65 from Birmingham to Montgomery and on Hwy 280 from Birmingham to Auburn. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two premiere broadband services:
- BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that provides Verizon Wireless business customers access to their corporate information just as if they were attached via a high-speed wired connection, but with the freedom of true mobility.
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
The company's continued investment in Alabama is part of Verizon Wireless' ongoing effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $44 billion since it was formed $5.5 billion on average every year to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services.
Editor's Note/Not for Publication: If you are interested in setting up an interview or ride-along test drive with your local Verizon Wireless test man or woman (real, live examples of the character portrayed on the television commercials), please contact Caran Smith at (678) 339-4891 or Caran.Smith@verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.