SCHAUMBURG, IL — Verizon Wireless has activated five new cell sites in Cook County that expand network coverage and increase network capacity, enabling more customers to use their wireless phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive email and text, picture and video messages; and download games and ringtones while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls. The new cell sites improve Verizon Wireless’ voice and data network in the following communities:
- the City of Chicago, in the following areas:
- Marquette Park, West Lawn and Ashburn neighborhoods, as well as Daley College and Ford City Mall, extending north from 63rd Street, south to W. 76th Street, west to Cicero Avenue and east to Kedzie Avenue;
- Garfield Park, Tilton Park and Austin neighborhoods, extending north to Chicago Avenue, south to U.S. Interstate 290, west to Cicero Avenue and east to Hamlin Boulevard;
- Beverly area, north to S. 99th Street, south to 108th Place, west to S. California Avenue and east to St. Charles Street;
- West side of Midway Airport, specifically, north to W. 58th Street, south to 73rd Street, west to Harlem Avenue and east to Austin Avenue.
- Hoffman Estates, north to West Higgins Road, south to West Algonquin Road, west to Huntington Boulevard, east to Roselle Road, encompassing the Highland Woods Golf Course;
- Justice, Bedford Park and Bridgeview, north to 71st Street, south to 81st Street, west to U.S. Highway 45 and east to 82nd Avenue;
- Schiller Park, north to Lawrence Avenue, south to Addison Road, west to U.S. Interstate 294 and east to Pueblo Avenue.
“This network enhancement reflects our ongoing commitment to meet the growing needs of our customers and to provide them with the reliable, high quality service they expect from Verizon Wireless,” said T.J. Fox, president–Illinois/Wisconsin Region, Verizon Wireless.
“The value we offer our customers is closely tied to our industry-leading customer retention,” Fox said. “Wireless consumers today understand that value is not defined by price alone. A major reason our customers choose Verizon Wireless and stay with us is because we offer the nation’s most reliable network.”
The new cell sites in Cook County are part of Verizon Wireless’ continual effort to expand coverage, increase capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in Illinois and throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion since it was formed—$5.5 billion on average every year—to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. Nearly $1 billion of this investment has been spent in Illinois since 2000. In 2007, the company invested more than $155 million in Illinois network improvements.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.