BIRMINGHAM, AL — Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, has completed another aggressive quarter of network expansion and enhancements across Alabama. The wireless carrier added 20 new cell sites and numerous network enhancements to improve coverage and capacity in several markets across the state during the second quarter of 2008.
In the second quarter of 2008, network coverage and capacity have been enhanced in the following Alabama cities:
- Warrior: New cell site in Jefferson County provides coverage to Warrior Jasper Road between US 78 and I-65.
- Montgomery: Capacity enhanced to existing cell sites in Montgomery, Prattville and Millbrook.
- Parrish: Two new cell sites in Walker County provide improved coverage to the towns of Parrish and Oakman as well as along Hwy 269 from Jasper to Gorgas. The second site improves coverage to the Gorgas and Good Springs area and along Highway 269.
- Jasper: New cell site provides improved coverage in Curry, Marigold and Northern Walker County.
- Birmingham: New cell site provides coverage along US Highway 31 between Warrior and Gardendale, and to the towns of Morris and Kimberly.
- Dothan: Capacity enhanced to existing sites throughout Dothan.
- Florence: Two new cell sites in Lauderdale County provide improved coverage in the town of Green Hill and along Highway 43 to the Tennessee border as well as for the new residential neighborhood in Cloverdale and along Highway 157. v Scottsboro: New cell site in Jackson County provides improved coverage along Highway 79 from Marshall County to Jackson County.
- Ragland: Two new cell sites in St. Clair County provides improved coverage on US 231 south of 411 and north of 174, as well as for the communities of Coal and Pope’s Chapel. The second site improves coverage along AL 144 between Wattsville and Ragland.
- Toney: New cell site in Madison County provides improved coverage along Highway 53 and in the community of Ardmore and areas northwest of Huntsville.
- Tuscumbia: New cell site in Colbert County provides improved coverage along Highway 72 and Highway 247 and in the community of Pride.
- Mt. Olive: New cell site in Jefferson County provides improved coverage in the town of Mt. Olive. Leighton: New cell site in Colbert County provide coverage to the town of Leighton and along Highway 72 and County Line Road.
- New Market: New cell site in Madison County improves coverage for the community of New Market and along CR 65.
- Elkmont: New cell site in Limestone County provides improved coverage for the community of Elkmont, North Jefferson Street and CR 100.
- Ft. Payne: New cell site in Dekalb County provides improved capacity for the Fort Payne area.
- Town Creek: New cell site in Lawrence County provides improved coverage in the park and recreational areas as well as along Highway 101.
- Vinemont: New cell site in Cullman County provides coverage to the town of Eva and along County Road 35 and Highway 55.
- Trafford: New cell site in Blount County will provide new service to the towns of Trafford and County Line.
The company’s continued investment in Alabama is part of Verizon Wireless’ ongoing effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion – $5.5 billion on average every year – since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. In 2008, the company has invested more $37 million to date to expand and enhances its Alabama network.
The company’s “nation’s most reliable wireless network” reputation is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women throughout the country, which inspired the company’s national advertising campaign. Traveling almost 1 million miles in specially equipped, company-owned vehicles, these test men and women conduct more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless’ and other national wireless carriers’ networks.
“We are focused on providing Alabama residents with the opportunity to experience first-hand the nation’s most reliable wireless network,” says Jeff Mango, President, Verizon Wireless Alabama/Georgia Region. “Providing a secure connection on the first try is a number one priority for our dedicated team of professionals who continue to optimize our network on a daily basis.”
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 68.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 70,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.