IRVINE, CA — Los Angeles County residents, businesses and visitors are enjoying improved service thanks to new Verizon Wireless cell sites. The sites expand 3G wireless coverage in:
- West Covina This new baseline site eliminates baseline drops along Grand Ave. south of the 10 Fwy around the West Covina and Walnut city boundary, and improves coverage in the hilly corridor along Grand Ave. between the 10 Fwy and Shadow Mountain Rd.
- Pico Rivera Improves coverage to San Gabriel Blvd., south side of Legg Lake in Whittier Narrows, and El Monte. Also improves coverage in Rose Hills and along Rosemead Blvd. and N Lincoln Ave.
- Santa Monica Improves coverage in North Santa Monica, particularly along the lower-end of Montana Ave. and 15th St.
- San Pedro Improves voice and EV-DO along Gaffey St. and coverage to the neighborhood to the west between Western Ave. and Gaffey St.
- Granada Hills Improves coverage in residential area from Sesnon Blvd. to Lisette St. and from Doric St. to Balboa Blvd.
- Granada Hills Improves coverage from Sesnon Blvd. to Nugent Dr. and from Cascade Canyon Dr. to Daryl Ave.
- Santa Clarita Improves coverage in Valencia along McBean Parkway around the Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital
- Rowland Heights New site primarily serves Fullerton Ave. and La Habra Blvd.
- Downey Improves coverage in Northern Downey from below Florence Ave. to below the 605 Fwy, and between Guatemala Ave. and Lakewood Blvd.
- Rosemead Improves coverage to the intersection of Garvey Ave. and San Gabriel Blvd.
- Los Angeles Covers residential area around Silver Lake near corner of Lakewood/Armstrong Ave.
- Carson This site will improve coverage to the busy intersection of the 405 and 110 Fwy at Anelo St., and the 110 Fwy between the 405 and 91. It will also provide coverage to business parks in the area.
The increase in network coverage and capacity means more calls, e-mails, text and picture messages for locals, plus expanded wireless access to the Web.
Verizon Wireless invested over $600 million in California during 2008 to enhance service and coverage. Nationally, the company has invested more than $48 billion in its network since it was formed in 2000. The result is the nation's largest, most reliable 3G network that powers services such as Mobile Broadband and e-mail.
Businesses of any size can tap into the power of Mobile Broadband. The service allows users to connect to the Internet wirelessly while on the go to download music over-the-air, and access e-mail or corporate data. For example, customers can download a small 1 megabyte PowerPoint® presentation in about eight seconds and upload the same-sized file in less than 13 seconds.
Small business owners interested in Mobile Broadband, and other wireless solutions, can visit http://smallbusiness.vzw.com where they will find:
- An online forum to share experiences and connect with other business owners
- Access to Small Business Specialists in each Verizon Wireless store
- Discounts and promotions to help businesses stretch their budgets
- Summaries of mobile solutions like e-mail, wireless Internet and Push to Talk service
- 24/7 tech support
Verizon Wireless tests its network and those of its competitors. The company determines if voice calls and data connections are successful on the first attempt and stay connected. Nationally, Verizon Wireless' real-life test men and women drive about 90 specially equipped vehicles almost 1,000,000 miles annually. They drive on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and streets in high-population areas, based upon U.S. Census counts. Vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than three million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers.
*Editors Note: Test Man Ride-Along Program
To set up an interview and ride-along test drive with your local Verizon Wireless test man or woman, please contact Ken Muché at (949) 286-8193.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 87.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 87,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.