ALPHARETTA, GA — In its ongoing effort to provide the best wireless service, Verizon Wireless, the company with the largest, most reliable voice and data network, including the nation's largest wireless 3G broadband network, announced today it invested more than $30 million in the first quarter of 2009 to enhance its network in Georgia. The expansion enhancements by Verizon Wireless, who employs nearly 4,000 people in Georgia, include building seven new cell sites, upgrading existing towers, increasing the coverage area of its high-speed wireless broadband network, and upgrading in-building coverage at key facilities such as the Georgia Dome and Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.
In the first quarter of 2009, coverage was enhanced and expanded with new cell towers in the following cities:
- Milledgeville: provides new and improved Verizon Wireless voice and broadband service to residential and retail areas along GA 22 between Milledgeville and Sparta.
- Wrightsville: provides new and improved Verizon Wireless voice and broadband service to residential and retail areas along GA 57 between Wrightsville and Toomsboro and along GA 68 to Tennille.
- Fargo: provides new and improved Verizon Wireless voice and broadband service to residential and retail areas in the town of Fargo, the southwest entrance to the Okefenokee Park and along GA-441 to Florida.
- Swainsboro: enhances calling capacity to the Verizon Wireless network in the northern parts of Swainsboro and the residential and commercial areas east and west of US Hwy 1.
- Lake Spivey: provides increased coverage in the area of Lake Spivey between Jonesboro and I-75 along Hwy 138 and Walt Stephens Rd.
- Warthen: improves coverage to residential and retail areas in the town of Warthen and along GA15 between Sparta and Sandersville.
- Newton: improves coverage to residential and retail areas along GA 37 between Newton and Milford.
In addition, the company's high speed 3G broadband network was enhanced to provide greater access and capacity in the following areas: Atlanta, Dublin, Holbrook, LaGrange, Elberton, Barnesville, Athens, Lathemtown, Freehome, western Cobb County, Dalton, Conyers, Woodstock, Alpharetta, Canton, Macon, Gwinnett County, Walton County, Dekalb County, Gainesville, Snellville, Grayson, Loganville, Thomson, Cornelia, Albany, Dahlonega, Jeffersonville, Summerville, Cedartown, Lawrenceville, Buford, Dacula, Cumming, Snellville, Suwanee, Duluth, Columbus, Cisco, Lovejoy, Hampton, Woolsey, Jonesboro, Perry, downtown Savannah, Loganville, and downtown Atlanta at the Georgia Dome, Georgia World Congress Center and Hartsfield Jackson Airport. The company also added network capacity to the Augusta area in preparation for The Masters PGA tournament, in Savannah for the St Patrick's Day events, and in Macon for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival.
"Network reliability is the number one reason customers choose and stay Verizon Wireless. We are committed to investing our resources to stay ahead of demand and ensure our customers have the best wireless experience," said Jeff Mango, president Georgia/Alabama region, Verizon Wireless. "In 2009, we will continue to perfect our network in Georgia so that our customers know they can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless devices."
The company's continued investment in Georgia is part of Verizon Wireless' ongoing effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $50 billion since it was formed $5.5 billion on average every year to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. In 2007 and 2008, Verizon Wireless invested $6.5 billion nationwide to expand and advance its network.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.