SAN DIEGO and BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon today announced the semi-finalists in its inaugural Apply Your Ideas mobile applications contest and invited registered members of the Verizon Developer Community to log on and cast their votes for the winners beginning Oct. 7. The company also introduced a diverse panel of judges who will select the Grand Prize winning application.
The Apply Your Ideas judges represent the best of the technology industry and have creative, financial, consumer and technical expertise. The judges are:
- Chris Connaway, super-user and member of the Verizon online community who participates in Verizon’s consumer forums to help people who are new to electronic devices be more productive in their work and personal lives by making their phones work for them. He has worked in the automotive industry for more than 10 years, most recently as a technical manager.
- Mitch Lasky, general partner, Benchmark Capital, and former executive vice president of Mobile and Online at Electronic Arts who has spent more than two decades in the mobile gaming, new media and interactive entertainment business.
- Kevin Thau, head of Mobile, Twitter, and industry veteran who has worked with service providers, device manufacturers and content providers to help develop the ecosystem in which today’s global wireless data and premium content businesses have evolved.
- Gigi Wang, board member and chair emeritus of the MIT/Stanford Venture Lab (VLAB), a high-tech forum in Silicon Valley with an international background in marketing, sales and strategy for mobile, Web services and telecom companies.
- Pete Wentz, bassist and lyricist of the GRAMMY®-nominated band Fall Out Boy who has leveraged his music stardom into a complete portfolio of music recording and label management, apparel, publishing and media, and nightlife projects. His boundless range of talents and prolific entrepreneurial skills has solidified his place as one of entertainment’s most successful stars.
The Grand Prize-winning application will be selected by the judges from among the category winners. The judges will examine each application’s originality and innovation, quality, appeal, technical execution, and overall value proposition in choosing the winner, which will be featured in V CAST Apps when it launches later this year. The Grand Prize winner will also take home $50,000 and 200 percent of the application’s revenue for a year (to a maximum of actual revenue plus $100,000).
VDC Members to Vote for Category and People’s Choice Winners
Winners will be chosen in the five contest categories – Connect, Enhance Living, Entertain, Guide, and Save Time – for which there were sufficient eligible entries. Voting continues through midnight Pacific Daylight Time on Oct. 17. Members of the VDC can vote once each day in each category, choosing the top application in each category based upon innovation, quality and consumer appeal. The application with the most votes among the winning applications will be named the People’s Choice winner.
The semi-finalists in each category are:
- AP Móvil – Stay connected with what’s happening in the world and in your area with multiple language support from AP Móvil. Designed specifically for BlackBerry® devices, AP Móvil is the only news application that lets you seamlessly toggle back and forth from English to Spanish while keeping all your customizable settings. Tap into breaking stories, browse award-winning photos, share news with friends and post to your favorite networking sites.
- Hockey Scores – A simple application to quickly and easily see all of the day’s hockey scores.
- • mGreeting – BlackBerry users can now send greeting cards to dear ones on special occasions. Select or create your own greeting cards and choose from pre-existing greeting templates that can be customized before sending.
- PicDial – PicDial’s “Automatic Picture Caller ID” lets you share your Facebook / MySpace profile picture (or any picture taken with your phone) with your PicDial friends every time you call. When you change your picture or status, it is automatically updated on your friends’ phones. You determine the picture others see when you call. PicDial also brings your mobile address book to life by linking your contacts to their information from social networking sites.
- Vaayoo – Vaayoo’s multifaceted social application comes for the first time to BlackBerry users. You can Click n Share photos and videos to Web communities, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, along with other cool social networking and sharing features. Features include Global Mail Recording and sending video/audio messages and picture messages; Click n Share photo and video uploads to Facebook and video upload to YouTube; My Peeps to connect you with people who share your interests and passions; vBox to automatically upload all your pictures, videos and audios from your phone to your private Web box; and veeTweets, the first mobile based video Twitter that allows you to add a flair to your Tweets from your mobile phone with video, photos, or audio.
- Anywhere Abs – Anywhere Abs is like having a workout partner on your BlackBerry. It will guide you step-by-step through a routine to strengthen your core. This routine, which takes only six minutes to complete at the advanced level, is perfect for the frequent traveler or for home use. It can be performed anywhere there is space on the floor, making it an ideal hotel room workout. Anywhere Abs consists of six exercises, performed while a timer counts down for the duration of each exercise.
- craigslist mobile by Movela – craigslist mobile is a full-featured client application for BlackBerry devices that allows users to browse and search craigslist postings, bookmark and reply to posts, save searches and more. The application supports all categories and all countries supported by www.craigslist.org.
- Edocrab – Edocrab (barcode spelled backwards) is a new, free app for the BlackBerry that will let you scan product barcodes with your camera and get instant online price comparisons, user reviews, product images, video clips, and more. You can even make purchases online directly from your BlackBerry. The Watchlist feature allows you to set price alerts on products and easily monitor for price drops on any item.
- MobileCamViewer Lite for BlackBerry – MobileCamViewer Lite brings live, high-quality video from your webcams or IP cameras to your BlackBerry. The software runs on a carrier-grade platform and is compatible with all PC-based webcams as well as IP cameras from Panasonic, Axis, Sony and more. MobileCamViewer Lite is ideal for use in the home, where it can be used as a video baby monitor, pet cam or nanny cam. The application has entertainment value as well; with simultaneous viewing, users can share their live video with family and friends all over the world.
- Abyss – Abyss is a new action-puzzle game relying on an original concept. Exclusively designed for the BlackBerry® Storm™, Abyss uses the touch screen accelerometer to provide fun and innovative gameplay. The goal of the game is to rearrange colored pieces by sliding them so that Pearls do not fall in the Abyss of the ocean.
- AllHipHop – AllHipHop.com has been the #1 online community for urban consumers for 11 years. The AllHipHop news, entertainment and lifestyle application delivers a massive amount of original news, music and video content on a daily basis. Leveraging GPS technology, our application will offer directions to and discounts at local hot spots and even access to money-making job opportunities in neighborhoods across America. True to our reputation as tastemaker, we feature and sell other apps that deliver entertainment, economic, education and productivity value to the millions of urban consumers that we serve and influence. In an effort to help urban cell phone subscribers save money on things like wiring funds to family and friends, the AllHipHop application will include access to wireless wallet capabilities that are connected to our uVIP pre-paid credit card.
- America’s Best Mobile Pix – aPix, the world’s largest mobile photo sharing community, lets you show off your awesome photos and see fun pix of cute babies, the hottest guys, and much more for the sake of popularity and the chance at cool prizes. Browse, vote, rate and comment on an endless collection of photos as well as meet new people in your area to text and trade photos with.
- Revball – Revball is an exciting new paddle ball game for the BlackBerry Storm. Part pinball, part ping-pong, but completely unique, Revball is a fast-paced game of skill that features exciting animations, sound effects and game play uniquely designed around the Storm’s touch screen interface. The object is to strategically hit the ball with your paddle to keep it from escaping the circular arena. One challenging level after another must be completed to beat the computer and earn the title of Champion. Simple to learn, Revball’s addictive action will quickly make it your favorite game for the BlackBerry Storm.
- Berryminder – Have you ever gone to the grocery store, only to find that you forgot your list? Have you ever been at work and thought of something you needed to do when you get home? Have you ever wished your to-do list would remind you based on your location? Berryminder is an application that allows you to set alerts based on your GPS-determined location. Set a detailed alert and attach a location to it so that whenever you enter the specified region, the alert appears. Berryminder also contains standard alarm features and date-based alerts that aren’t location dependant.
- DealAtlas – DealAtlas is the ultimate guide for shoppers in the field and lets you leverage the power of your location to find the best deals, many of which will be exclusive to DealAtlas users. Search for the best deals with a single click and eliminate tedious sifting through mobile Web sites or product databases.
- Call Control Lite – Call Control blocks telemarketers that appear on a user-generated Community Blacklist, effectively reducing or eliminating unwanted spam telephone calls to your BlackBerry. It works better than traditional call blocking applications because Call Control Lite has identified over 2.5 million spam callers and is continuously updated based on user and Government Do-Not-Call complaints.
- It Has Been – It Has Been is a multi-purpose timer that helps you remember all the important tasks that took place, featuring an unlimited number of timers, six of them accessible on the screen at any time. With the application, you will know how long it has been since you changed the AC filter in your home or how long it has been since you last went for a dental cleanup.
- Mobi4Biz – Mobi4Biz puts 24/7 business news and personalized stock info where you need it – in your hand. You can view live business TV on CNBC and more, plus breaking video alerts on your stocks.
- splitCosts – splitCosts allows you to split bills or expenses among a group of people. It allows you to create different events in which bills or expenses can be added to it so that it can be split evenly at the end of the event. For example, when on vacation with friends and family and several people are paying for different bills or expenses, simply input the costs into splitCosts and at the end of the vacation, click “Settle Event” and it will display who owes money to whom.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving 87.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 87,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.