WALNUT CREEK, CA — This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake. On October 17, 2009, Verizon Wireless will participate in the Bay Area's Big Rumble, a weeklong series of events designed to connect our communities with preparedness resources to make it an everyday part of our lives.
Earthquakes and other natural disasters can strike at any time. Preparedness is key for individuals, families and businesses. In preparation for Big Rumble, Verizon Wireless offers the following cell phone tips in the event of earthquakes:
1. Know how to use call forwarding at home. If you have to evacuate, forward your home phone calls to your cell phone.
2. Conserve battery power and free-up wireless networks for emergency response agencies by limiting non-emergency calls.
3. Keep a car-charger in your vehicle in case you must evacuate.
4. Save emergency phone numbers in your cell phone for one-touch dialing.
5. Store back-up batteries for electronic devices, including your cell phone.
6. Consider using text messages to communicate.
7. Understand your cell phone's capabilities: e-mail, weather updates and news reports are all tools that can help after a disaster.
8. Small business owners can help employees stay connected to the Internet, e-mail and company databases with high-speed data services for laptops.
To learn more, visit the Verizon Wireless booth on the Marina Green during the Big Rumble Preparedness Fair in San Francisco from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 17, 2009.
For more tips on preparing an emergency communications plan, please visit the Verizon Wireless Emergency Information Center http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/criticalevents/index.html. For more information on the Big Rumble, visit http://www.thebigrumble.org/.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving 87.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 87,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.