- A new site in Albany improves coverage and capacity along Route 5 from Locust Park to Tanglewood Road and Lincoln Avenue from Route 5 to Rapp Road. It also covers the area around Exit 24 of the New York State Thruway.
- A new site in Colonie improves coverage and capacity along Route 5 from Balltown Road to Lisha Kill Road, Kings Road from Highbridge Road to Morris Road, and Albany Street from Booth Avenue to Morris Road.
- A new site in Melrose improves coverage and capacity along Route 40 from Irish Road to Hansen Road, Route 122 from Route 121 to Route 40, and in the town of Melrose.
- A new site in Schodack improves coverage and capacity along Route 150 from Route 9J to Old Post Road, Route 9J from Route 1 to Staats Island Road, and in the town of Castleton.
- A new site in Halfmoon improves coverage and capacity along Route 9 from Vishers Ferry Road to Sitterly Road, Route 236 from Route 9 to Harris Road, and Grooms Road from Route 9 to the I-87 interchange in the town of Halfmoon.
- A new site in Canaan improves coverage and capacity along Route 22 from Route 295 to Route 20. It also covers Upper Queechy Road, including the Queechy Lake residential lake communities.
- A new site in Austerlitz improves coverage and capacity along the Taconic Parkway from Angel Hill Road to Route 217 and on Harlemville Road near Water Street.
This network expansion is part of the company’s aggressive multi-billion dollar network investment each year to stay ahead of the growing demand for Verizon Wireless’ voice and data services. The company has invested more than $60 billion nationwide since it was formed – $5.7 billion on average every year – and invested more than $100 million in Upstate New York in 2009.
“We’ve always believed even the most advanced device is only as good as the network it runs on. We continue to aggressively invest in our Upstate New York network to increase coverage and capacity for our customers, add new services, and maintain our 3G network leadership,” said Gene Fassett, executive director of Network for Verizon Wireless’ Upstate New York Region.
Verizon Wireless recently earned recognition from J.D. Power and Associates for “Highest Call Quality Performance among Wireless Cell Phone Users in the Northeast.”
Services include wireless data services such as picture messaging, text messaging, V CAST and V CAST Music with Rhapsody®, and Mobile Broadband, the company’s high-speed wireless broadband network geared toward mobile professionals and business customers. It provides average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits per second, and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps.
Strong demand for Verizon Wireless’ services continued during the second quarter of 2010 as the company added 1.4 million net new customers.
The company’s “nation’s most reliable wireless network” reputation is based on network studies performed by test men and women throughout the country. These engineers drive 100 specially equipped vehicles more than 1 million miles annually on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and surface streets. Test vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than 3.5 million voice call attempts and more than 19 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless’ network and the networks of other carriers. Check out our new video of Western New York Test Man, Jack Brandes.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
Check out our new video of Western New York Test Man, Jack Brandes. If you are interested in setting up an interview or ride-along test drive with Jack, please contact John O'Malley at 585-321-7264.
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 92 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 79,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.