BASKING RIDGE, NJ — This February, Verizon Wireless invites you to “Celebrate Your Story” during Black History Month. Starting on Feb. 1 and continuing throughout the year, Verizon Wireless will be honoring African Americans who have made an impact on their communities and inspire those around them – past ancestors, current leaders in business, entertainment, sports and the community, to today’s modern day heroes in our everyday lives – and celebrating their legacy.
“Celebrating Your Story is an opportunity to honor the lives of African Americans who have made a difference in our communities, and to share and celebrate their stories,” said Marquett Smith, vice president, communications and community relations at Verizon Wireless. “This initiative is a way for people to not only learn about the past but to express themselves today, and to share their unique and individual stories for future generations.”
Twenty-eight ancestors will be inducted into Verizon Wireless’ “Celebrating Your Story” hero hall of fame including, Phillip A. Payton, Mary Elizabeth Bowser, and Mary Ann Shadd Carey. In-depth interviews will also be featured on some of today’s most influential African Americans, including:
- Lamont C. Smith, founder and president of sports and entertainment representation firm All Pro Sports and Entertainment, and chairman of the Black Entertainment Sports Lawyers Association
- Chrissette Michelle, music artist/songwriter, Def Jam/Universal
- Len Burnett & Brett Wright, co- chief executive officers, VIBE Magazine & UPTOWN Magazine
- Dr. DeForest B. Soaries, Jr., senior pastor, First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens, Somerset, N.J.
To learn about these influential figures and more visit Facebook®, Twitter™ and YouTube, at:
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/celebratingyourstory
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@verizonbhm
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/celebratingyourstory
Consumers are encouraged to visit the “Celebrating Your Story” Facebook, Twitter and YouTube sites to interact and discuss content, as well as upload their own videos to celebrate Black History Month and honor those who empower and inspire them today.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 94 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.