SCHAUMBURG, Ill. — Verizon Wireless has activated six new cell sites in Will County, Ill., which improve voice and data coverage in the following locations:
- Bolingbrook: from North 111th Street in the north, to South Weber Road in the east, to Taylor Road in the south and to U.S. Highway 30 in the west.
- Frankfort: from East Colorado Avenue in the north, to South Harlem Avenue in the east, to West Dralle Road in the south and to U.S. Highway 45 in the west.
- Glenwood: from Thornton Lansing Road in the north, to South Cottage Grove Avenue in the east, to East Joe Orr Road in the south and to State Highway 1 in the west.
- Joliet: from Theodore Street in the north, to U.S. Highway 53 in the east, to West Glenwood Avenue in the south and to North Larkin Avenue in the west.
- Lockport: from West 151st Street in the north, to South Farrell Road in the east, to West Bruce Road in the south and to Broadway Street in the west.
- Romeoville: from West New Avenue in the north, to Sterling Drive in the east, to Route 171 in the south and to Route 53 in the west.
The new cell sites, each of which is equipped witha permanent backup generator for times of emergency, empower more Verizon Wireless customers to rely on their wireless phones for social networking, Internet browsing, downloading apps, exchanging email and text, picture and video messaging as well as making calls.
“Our customers rely on their wireless devices for virtually all of their communication needs,” said T.J.Fox, president, Illinois/Wisconsin Region, Verizon Wireless. “Ten years ago, ensuring they could make clear calls and stay connected was our top priority. That still is and always will be important. Additionally though, we closely monitor all other network usage, such as Internet browsing and downloading apps or music, and make improvements accordingly, so that our customers’ experience on our network is seamless regardless of how they want to use their phone.”
In addition to the ongoing investment in its 3G network, Verizon Wireless recently launched the world’s first large-scale 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network to 38 major metropolitan areas and 60 commercial airports. This initial launch covers more than 110 million people—more than one third of all Americans. By year-end 2013, Verizon Wireless will have full nationwide 4G LTE coverage everywhere the Verizon 3G network is available today.
Verizon Wireless 4G LTE average data rates are 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink in real-world, loaded network environments. These speeds are significantly faster than Verizon Wireless and other wireless providers’ current or promised 3G network speeds.
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $65 billion since it was formed—$6 billion on average every year—to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services. Since 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $1.5 billion on improvements to its wireless network in Illinois.
Stay in the know about Verizon Wireless news in the Illinois/Wisconsin Region follow @VZWCarolyn on Twitter at http://twitter.com/vzwcarolyn. For the latest network-related news, information and upgrades, follow @VZWNetwork on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNetwork.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 94 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.