SOUTHFIELD, MI — Verizon Wireless announced today that it is bringing the world’s first large-scale 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network to Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing and more of metropolitan Detroit on June 16. Residents and businesspeople who rely on 4G LTE smartphones, laptop modems and hot spots will be able to take advantage of speeds up to 10 times faster than the company’s 3G network.
Cities, towns and major roads in the expanded coverage area include:
- In Flint, Flushing and Grand Blanc;
- Along Michigan Road 57 between Interstate 75 and Michigan Road 54;
- And, along Interstate 75 to the Dixie Highway/Michigan Road 54 interchange.
Grand Rapids Market
- In Cascade, East Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, Kentwood and Wyoming;
- From the north, Leonard Street between U.S. Highway 131 and Interstate 96;
- Between U.S. Highway 131 and Interstate 96 south to 44th Street;
- And, Broadmoor Avenue SE from 44th Street to 68th Street.
- In Dewitt, Dimondale, East Lansing, Haslett, Holt, Laingsburg, Lansing, Okemos and Waverly;
- Along Interstate 69 between Business 69 and U.S. Highway 27;
- And, along Interstate 96 between Webberville and the U.S. Route 27/Interstate 69.
Metro Detroit Market Expansion
- In Ann Arbor, Brighton, Plymouth, Walled Lake and Ypsilanti;
- Along Interstate 96 between Novi and Brighton;
- Along U.S. Route 23 between Ann Arbor and Brighton;
- Along Michigan Avenue between Canton and Ypsilanti;
- And, along Interstate 94 between Romulus and Ann Arbor.
In real-world, fully-loaded network environments, 4G LTE users should experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink. Verizon Wireless began introducing the globe’s first large-scale LTE network on December 5, 2010, covering more than 110 million Americans, and is quickly expanding national coverage, currently offering service in 55 metropolitan areas. The company is rapidly building out its 4G LTE network, and is on course to deliver 4G LTE to its entire 3G wireless footprint by the end of 2013.
As the first wireless company in the world to broadly deploy game-changing 4G LTE technology, Verizon Wireless is committed to building its 4G network with the same performance and reliability for which it has long been recognized. Verizon Wireless’ consistent focus on reliability is based on rigid engineering standards and a disciplined deployment approach year after year. The company’s 700 MHz spectrum gives Verizon Wireless specific advantages with 4G, including a contiguous, nationwide network license.
Visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte for more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.