PHILADELPHIA, PA — To continue to stay ahead of rising demand for wireless voice, 3G multimedia and Internet access in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Verizon Wireless has expanded its local network.
- New cell site provides increased wireless voice and 3G data coverage for the Mount Airy area north along Stenton Avenue and Gorgas Lane, south along Germantown Avenue and Pleasant Street, east along Washington Lane and Anderson Street and west along Ardleigh Street and Durham Street.
- Another new cell site provides increased wireless voice and 3G data coverage for the Ivy Hill area north along Waverly Road and Limekiln Pike, south along Stenton Avenue and Ivy Hill Road, east along Washington Lane and Stenton Avenue and west along Paper Mill Road and Cromwell Road.
- Within the past year, the company activated several new cell sites that increased coverage in Philadelphia, including a site that increased coverage and capacity throughout the Boothwyn area north along Chichester Avenue to near Route 322, south on Chichester Avenue to near East Ridge Road, east on I-95 North to near Route 322 and west on I-95 South to near Namans Road. Coverage was also improved in Delaware County along Cheyney Road to Springlawn Road, on Valleybrook Road to Bodley Road, on Route 1 to Wawa Road and on Route 1 to Scott Road.
- Expanded 3G data coverage in Philadelphia lets more customers using notebook computers or smartphones:
- Download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps
- Rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more
- Work on-the-go with fast file sharing
- Quickly download and play music favorites from Top 40 to Classical
- Send e-mails to friends, family and co-workers with picture and video attachments
- Download and play vivid 3D games
- Stream must-see video and customized radio stations
View from Verizon Wireless
"We've always believed even the most advanced cell phone is only as good as the network it runs on," said Mario Turco, president of Verizon Wireless’ Philadelphia Tri-State Region. "Our 3G high-speed Mobile Broadband network is the largest and most reliable in the United States, and we are the first wireless company on the globe to launch a sizeable LTE 4G footprint, covering 110 million people.”
Harnessing the Capabilities of a Robust 3G Network
Verizon Wireless’ 3G network powers many leading mobile multimedia services, including:
- Mobile Broadband Internet Access: Notebook computer users can access e-mail, download files and browse the Internet at broadband speed, downloading a one megabyte e-mail attachment – the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file – in about eight seconds and uploading it in less than 13 seconds.
- V CAST Video: V CAST multimedia services offer customers the ability to play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones, as well as to watch dozens of on-demand videos, including breaking news, weather, sports highlights and the hottest entertainment clips.
In addition to enhancing its 3G network, Verizon Wireless has deployed its 4G LTE Network in 74 metropolitan areas and 76 commercial airports coast to coast covering one-third of all Americans. During 2011, the company will continue to expand its 4G footprint to include more than 175 markets by year-end. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE wireless network is the fastest and most advanced 4G network in America and offers speeds up to 10 times faster than the current 3G network.
Sustained Wireless Investment
The company has invested more than $65 billion – $6.0 billion on average every year – since its inception to increase the wireless voice and data coverage of its national network and to add new 3G services like Mobile Broadband and V CAST. As the carrier with America's largest and most reliable wireless network, Verizon Wireless cell sites in the Philadelphia Tri-State Region provide 3G wireless data connectivity. The company’s ongoing network investment in the region now totals more than $1.5 billion.
The company’s ‘
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.