DALLAS, TX — Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation’s largest 4G LTE network, announced that its network is prepared for the 2012 severe weather season.
To ensure Texas residents have comprehensive, reliable wireless coverage in case of severe weather, and every day, Verizon Wireless has made significant investments in the last year to strengthen and enhance its wireless network throughout the state.
Highlights of these enhancements include expanding capacity in the company’s regional switching facilities throughout Texas, erecting new digital cell sites with on-site back-up power, and deploying a team of “test men” across the state in high-tech vehicles to fine tune the company’s all-digital network.
These intensive investments and preparations proved critical during and after past years’ extraordinary storm seasons. In the aftermath of even the most devastating weather, the Verizon Wireless network in Texas remained strong while many other wireless communication networks struggled to serve emergency response officials and residents reaching out to insurance providers, family, friends and co-workers.
Additional Verizon Wireless 2012 severe weather season preparation and network enhancement include:
- A comprehensive emergency response plan, including preparing emergency command centers across Texas in the case of a storm or other crisis.
- Verizon Wireless network technicians, who serve as the inspiration for the famous TV Test Man commercials, travel the state in high-tech vehicles to measure the quality of voice and data calls on Verizon Wireless and other carriers.
- The company has Cells on Wheels (COWS), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTS), and generators on trailers (GOaTS) that can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity.
- Pre-arranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost for an extended period of time.
- Installation of advanced in-building systems to boost wireless coverage and services at hospitals, government and emergency facilities, high-traffic public venues and other locations throughout Texas.
More Information Available
- Follow VerizonNews on Twitter for ongoing network updates, enhancements and information.
- See video footage of Verizon Wireless’ year-round network preparations across the country on YouTube and in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library.
Find additional information on Verizon Wireless at www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves nearly 108 million total wireless connections, including 92.2 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with nearly 82,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.