As the job market continues to bounce back, the tech industry is growing slightly faster than many others. According to the TechAmerica Foundation, the industry’s growth in 2012 outpaced the overall U.S. private sector.
With the demand for jobs in the space comes an increased amount of competition. Here are five tips from Kim Allenbach, an HR strategist at Verizon Wireless, to aid job seekers looking to differentiate themselves from the pack:
- Build your network: Make sure you are reaching out to friends, professors, neighbors, family, past supervisors, family friends and others who may be able to assist you in your search. LinkedIn is a good place to start.
- Stay up on the new trends: Technology changes at a rapid pace. Make sure you are keeping up to date with the latest developments by checking sites such as Mashable, CNET and Gizmodo.
- Keep your skills fresh: Seek professional development opportunities as the skills you learned in college may not be the only skills needed when you enter the workforce.
- Brand yourself: You may not think of yourself as a product, but that’s exactly what you are when you are searching for a job. Don’t overlook the need to package yourself in the right way to develop a strong personal brand. Consider developing a concise elevator speech, updating your social media profiles to reflect your professional image or create a personal website.
- Show your passion: Once you have landed the interview, be sure to convey your passion for the field. Candidates who leave a positive and enthusiastic impression often receive a second interview and are more likely to land the job.
For additional tips, visit Verizon Wireless Careers on LinkedIn.