Several nonprofit organizations have launched text-to-donate campaigns to assist with relief efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Verizon Wireless customers can make a $10 donation by texting the numbers listed below:
- Text RELIEF to 25383 to give to Catholic Relief Services
- Text AID to 80077 to give to HOPE Worldwide
- Text AID to 50555 to give to Operation USA
- Text DONATE to 20222 to give to Save the Children
- Text SHELTER to 20222 to give to Shelter Box USA
- Text RELIEF to 864233 to give to UNICEF
- Text AID to 27722 to give to World Food Program USA
- Text HOPE to 777444 to give to WORLD VISION
Customers who would like to give more can donate up to five times, up to $50 total.
Text messaging fees will be waived, and 100 percent of each donation goes directly to the organizations. Verizon Wireless customers who pay monthly bills will see their donations on the next regular monthly bill. For customers using the company’s prepaid services, donations will be deducted from customers’ prepaid balances.
To help customers connect with family and friends in the Philippines, Verizon will waive charges for wireline long-distance calls, postpaid wireless long-distance calls, and text and multimedia messaging (applicable taxes and surcharges will still apply) to the stricken region from Nov. 8 to Dec. 7.
The company has also committed $100,000 to the American Red Cross Philippines Typhoon Appeal Fund, and activated the Verizon Foundation one-to-one match of employee donations of $25 or more – up to $1,000 per employee – to Save the Children.