While smartphones still can’t get dinner started or change a flat tire, they offer an ever-growing number of features that can make life easier, more convenient and more fun. Yet you may not be aware of the all the power and features that are packed into your device.
This is the first in a three-part series that will help you discover how to use the many capabilities that are available on a device you’re probably seldom without.
Did you know that your smartphone can be used to:
1. Create a mobile hotspot: You can turn your smartphone into a mobile hotspot that creates a Wi-Fi cloud to share your 4G LTE network with other Wi-Fi-enabled devices. On most smartphones the personal hotspot feature can be accessed from the device’s settings menu. After setting up a Wi-Fi title and password, the phone can be used to connect other Wi-Fi-enabled devices to high-speed Internet.
2. Identify songs: One of the coolest ways to use a smartphone is to identify songs on the radio or at the club. Shazam and SoundHound are some of the most popular apps for this purpose. Just tapping a button on your phone brings up the title of a song while it’s playing.
3. Function as a remote control: A variety of apps enable smartphones to be used as remote controls for TVs, computers, cameras and more. Smartphones also can be used to control PowerPoint presentations.
4. Make payments: Apps such as ISIS Mobile Wallet allow you to store debit cards, credit cards and gift cards on smartphones equipped with Near Field Communications technology. Just tap your device to a merchant’s payment terminal to make a purchase.
5. Fax and scan: While traditional fax machines and scanners are still widely used, you can now use your device for these tasks as well. Apps like JotNot Scanner Pro, TurboScan and CamScanner allow you to scan important documents and send them to recipients.
For more ways to maximize your smartphone experience, sign up for a free Wireless Workshop at a Verizon Wireless store near you.