I’ve noticed, as I get older, an increased propensity to forget some of the simplest things. Why did I open that drawer? What was I looking for? Nothing terribly dramatic, but a good reminder that just as my body needs a workout to stay (or get?) in shape, my brain also needs to break a sweat on a regular basis.
One thing I never forget is to keep my smartphone handy so I can add and use a variety of brain training apps. These apps allow me to exercise my cerebrum no matter where I happen to be. Here are my five must-have apps to keep my brain limber – even if the rest of me isn’t.
- Lumosity – With personalized training and more than 40 scientific games, Lumosity takes common cognitive and neuropsychological tasks and turns them into challenging games for me.
- Shape Shift – This game is similar to the classic board game, Perfection. If a match isn't made in time the shapes will shift positions. I must quickly match all of the shapes before time runs out. Monthly and yearly Brain Health Assessments provided by the app also allow me to see changes to my brain health.
- Brain Games – I can give my mind a solid workout with four games designed to develop your brain: memory, reasoning, concentration and spatial intelligence.
- Brain Trainer Special – Like Lumosity, Brain Trainer Special has a ton of great brain games, including math madness, memory letters, tricky colors and even Sudoku. When I forget to train my brain, Brain Trainer will remind me.
- Critical Thinking University “Think-O-Meter” – This app includes various scenarios to test my ability to separate reliable facts from assumptions, focus on the relevant information, and think critically to get the right answer.
This is part the Verizon Wireless “Must-have Apps” series, which provides insights into the apps that people use every day to embrace the mobile lifestyle.