Install Blackberry® Handheld Software - Blackberry® Desktop Manager (Windows®)
Before installing the handheld software the BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be installed. The BlackBerry cradle or USB cable must be connected directly to the desktop / laptop and not through a docking station / port replicator or USB hub.
Warning: It is critical that the computer used during installation is not allowed to enter stand-by, hibernate, or suspend mode. Failure to prevent this will result in a failed install and possible permanent damage to the device.
- Close any open applications.
Verify the Blackberry Desktop Manager is not running in the Windows System Tray (located in the bottom right-hand corner).
- Launch an Internet browser then navigate to the BlackBerry Software Updates website.
- Click the appropriate email option.
- Personal Email
- Corporate Email
- Select the appropriate Blackberry model (e.g. BlackBerry 9530).
- Enter the 10-digit Verizon Wireless mobile number then click Download Now.
- Click Save.
- Select the desired location then click Save.
For the purposes of these directions, Desktop is the location selected.
- Double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation.
- Select the desired language then click OK.
- Click Next.
- Select the desired country or region then click Next.
- To continue the installation, select I accept the terms in the license agreement then click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager then connect the device to the computer using the cable / cradle.
Navigate Start > Programs (All Programs) > Blackberry > Desktop Manager
- Click Update Now.
If the window does not appear, open the Application Loader.
- If prompted, verify the PIN number of the device and enter the device password (if applicable) then click OK.
- From Update Software, click Start.
- Click Options.
- Ensure desired applications are selected (checked) then click Settings (located in the lower-right corner).
- Ensure desired Backup Options are selected (checked) then click OK.
If experiencing a JVM error, do not back up device data.
- Back up device data automatically during the installation process
- Encrypt backup file
- Click Next (located in the lower-right corner).
- Click Finish (located in the lower-right corner).
Time of system upgrade may range from 20 minutes to a full hour. During this time, the Blackberry display screen may be blank. Do not unplug the device during the upgrade operation.
- Click Main Menu (located in the lower-right corner).