Hard Reset - Apple® iPhone® 5
A hard reset may help with a blank or frozen screen, apps crashing or freezing, keypad/touchscreen problems, can't hear, device making noises, can't make or receive calls, and device won't sync. Our Troubleshooting Assistant can help you with other device issues if you aren't currently using the tool.
- Performing an Erase all content and Settings will remove ALL data including the email accounts, system data, app data, app settings, and downloaded apps. Only perform this reset if absolutely necessary.
- Performing a hard reset is only recommended when the existing data has been backed up or is unwanted. For assistance, refer to Apple article: # HT1766 - iPhone and iPod touch: About backups.
After an Erase all content and Settings or a Restore through iTunes, an initial setup may need to be performed. For assistance, refer to Initial Activation and setup. If Erasing all content and Settings does not resolve the issue, perform a Restore through iTunes.
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Erase All content and Settings.
- Enter the 4-digit passcode.
- Tap Erase iPhone.
- Do not disconnect the iPhone from the computer during the restore process.
- If prompted, during the Restore process, enter the 4-digit passcode of the device.
Follow the step-by-step instructions provided for Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings.