Update Carrier Settings - Apple® iPhone® 5S
- To verify the iTunes software version, refer to iTunes: How to find which version you are using for assistance.
- Carrier settings updates are small files that are installed on iOS devices. The Carrier settings include updates to Access Point Names (APNs), MMS Settings, features such as tethering and default apps such as Stocks, Maps, and Weather. Having the most up to date Carrier Settings is recommended for the proper functionality of the device.
- From the computer, close any open apps.
- Press the power button to power iPhone on.
- Connect iPhone to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
When tethered, iTunes will open automatically on the computer.
- In iTunes, select iPhone under Devices in the left column.
For iTunes version 11 or higher, select the iPhone button in the upper-right.
If prompted, download the latest version of iTunes. Refer to Install System Updates - iTunes for additional assistance.
- If prompted with an available carrier settings update, click Download and Update.
- Click OK.
- From the device, press and hold the power/sleep button.
- Slide the power switch right, to power off the device.
- It may take several seconds for the device to power off.
- Once the device has completed powering off, press the power/sleep button to power on the device.
- Slide the unlock switch right, to unlock the device.
Last Modified: September 12, 2014