This guide contains general instructions on activating a replacement 3G Basic Phone and shipping your defective one back to us.
Note: Once you return your phone, it can’t be sent back to you.
Step 1: Save your contacts from the defective phone.
If you can’t use your defective phone or have already backed up your contacts using Backup AssistantSM, turn off your defective phone, remove the battery and SD card (if applicable) and go to Step 2.
- Visit How to Get Backup Assistant on Basic Phones.
- Follow the instructions for setting up Backup Assistant and saving your contacts.
Note: For Prepaid customers, data charges may apply for download (1MB) and usage. Compatible phone required.
- Turn off the defective phone and remove the battery and SD memory card (if applicable).
Step 2: Transfer the SIM card from the defective phone.
If you don’t have a World Device, skip to Step 3.
- Remove the SIM card from the defective World Device.
- Without touching the gold contacts, insert the SIM card into the SIM card slot of your replacement phone according to the User Guide.
Step 3: Activate the replacement phone.
- Insert the SD memory card (if you have one) and battery from the defective phone into your replacement phone.
- Charge your replacement phone, and then turn it on.
- Dial *228 and press SEND. Then press 1 and follow the prompts to activate your phone.
Note: Onscreen instructions on some phones may indicate pressing SEND to activate it.
Prepaid customers: Dial *22898 and press SEND. Then press 2 and follow prompts.
Step 4: Transfer your contacts to your replacement phone.
- Visit the How to Restore Contacts on Basic Phones Using Backup Assistant page.
- Follow the instructions for transferring your contacts to your replacement phone.
Step 5: Return your defective Basic phone.
Note: You must return your defective Basic phone within five days. If you don’t return your defective phone, or if you return one that has been subjected to neglect, misuse, liquid damage or unreasonable wear and tear, you’ll be charged up to the retail price of your replacement device, which may exceed $500.
Follow the instructions below to ship your defective phone:
- Remove all accessories from your defective phone, including battery (if removable), SD card, SIM card, USB cables, etc.
- Insert your defective phone under the film of the cardboard insert found in the shipping box to ensure safe return.
- Place the insert, with the defective phone under the film, back inside the shipping box.
- Seal the shipping box and attach the return label.
- Drop off at the nearest location of the carrier identified on the return shipping label.
International subscribers: Please contact Customer Service at (800) 711-8300 to ensure your SIM card number is correct and activated prior to travel.