This guide is for new Verizon Wireless customers who purchased iPhone 4s or iPhone 4 8 GB. If you are an existing Verizon Wireless customer or purchased a different iPhone model, select one of the following options:
- Activating and Setting Up iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 8 GB – Existing Customers
- Activating iPhone 4 16 GB or 32 GB - New and Existing Customers
You will need to back up your contacts before activating iPhone 4s or iPhone 4 8 GB, otherwise your contacts will be lost.
Existing iPhone users:
- Sync your previous iPhone with iTunes® or backup your contacts and content in iCloud®.
- Turn off your previous device.
All other new customers:
Check with your existing wireless provider for contact backup options on your current device.
If you already keep your contacts on your Mac® or PC, you can use iTunes to sync them to your new iPhone 4s. iTunes syncs contacts with applications such as Mac OS® X Address Book, Yahoo!&Reg; Address Book and Google Contacts on a Mac; or with Yahoo! Address Book, Google Contacts, Windows® Address Book (Outlook® Express), Windows Contacts (Vista® and Windows 7), or Microsoft® Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 on a PC.
iPhone 4 can also sync your contacts over the air using MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange. If your current device cannot sync contacts with any of these options, you may need to re-enter your contacts on your new iPhone 4s or iPhone 4 8 GB manually.
You can activate your new iPhone wirelessly using a Wi-Fi connection or with iTunes.
- Turn on your new iPhone by pressing the On / Off button.
- Follow the Setup Assistant on-screen instructions to select a Wi-Fi network and activate your device.
If no Wi-Fi network is available, tap Connect to iTunes.
- Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes. If you are new to iTunes, you will need to download the latest version from the Apple&erg; website.
- Business and government customers: Please work with your IT department to ensure you are using an approved version of iTunes for your business or agency.
- When prompted, review the Software License Agreement and, if you agree, click Agree to continue. Once activation is complete, a message will display on your iPhone.
- Complete the remaining steps of the Setup Assistant, including restoring data from your iTunes or iCloud backup, if applicable.
- It may take up to three minutes to complete activation.
- If you ordered iPhone 4s or iPhone 4 8GB by phone, you will receive a text message when activation is complete, which will include instructions to dial *228 and press Call from your device to accept the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement. iPhone will be ready for use once this step is complete.
Set up Voicemail
- Tap the Phone app on iPhone.
- Tap the Voicemail tab and follow the prompts.
Set up Wi-Fi
- Tap the Settings app on iPhone.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Set Wi-Fi to ON and select a network from the list.
- Enter a password, if prompted, and tap Join.
I have contacts on my Mac or PC
- Sync with iTunes.
I have contacts stored on Google
- Tap the Settings app on iPhone.
- Tap Mail, Contacts, and Calendar.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter your Gmail™ username and password, and then tap Next. Keep the Domain field blank.
- In the Server field, enter m.google.com, and then tap Save.
- Make sure Contacts is set to ON, and tap Save.
Contract Term Acceptance
Due to the software in iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 8GB, they may not be used with any carrier other than Verizon Wireless, even after your contract term is completed.
Verizon Wireless offers international roaming to more than 200 countries on iPhone. To activate international service or to get the latest coverage, voice and data rates, go to the International Usage and Services page in My Verizon or My Verizon Mobile. For additional details, visit verizonwireless.com/international.
Apple, iPhone, iTunes and iCloud are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google, Inc.
Gmail and the Gmail logo are trademarks of Google, Inc