This guide is for new Verizon Wireless customers who purchased iPhone 5. If you're an existing Verizon Wireless customer, refer to the Activating and Setting Up iPhone 5 Guide for Existing Customers.
To activate and set up iPhone you will need to:
Step 1: Back up contacts from your old phone
Step 2: Activate iPhone 5
Step 3: Set up additional services on iPhone 5
You will need to back up your contacts before activating iPhone 5, otherwise your contacts will be lost.
Existing iPhone users:
- Sync your previous iPhone with iTunes® or backup your contacts and content in iCloud®.
- Turn off your old device.
All other new customers:
Check with your existing wireless provider for contact backup options on your current device.
If you already keep your contacts on your Mac® or PC, you can use iTunes to sync them to your new iPhone 5.
Note: iTunes syncs contacts with applications such as Mac OS® X Address Book, Yahoo!® Address Book and Google™ Contacts on a Mac; or with Yahoo! Address Book, Google Contacts, Windows® Address Book (Outlook® Express), Windows Contacts (Vista® and Windows 7), or Microsoft® Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 on a PC.
You can activate iPhone 5 wirelessly by using your cellular connection, using a Wi-Fi connection or by tethering to your computer and using iTunes.
- Turn on iPhone 5 by pressing the On / Off button.
- Follow the Setup Wizard's on-screen instructions and select 'Use Cellular Connection' when you reach the activation screen.
If cellular connection is not available, you can choose to activate by tapping Connect to iTunes, or by selecting a Wi-Fi network.
- Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes. If you are new to iTunes, you will need to download the latest version from the Apple® website.
- Business and government customers: Please work with your IT department to ensure you are using an approved version of iTunes for your business or agency.
- When prompted, review the Software License Agreement and, if you agree, click Agree to continue. Once activation is complete, a message will display on your iPhone.
- Complete the remaining steps of the Setup Assistant, including restoring data from your iTunes or iCloud backup, if applicable.
Note: It may take up to three minutes to complete activation.
Set up Voicemail
- Tap the Phone app on iPhone 5.
- Tap the Voicemail tab and follow the prompts.
Set up Wi-Fi
- Tap the Settings app on iPhone 5.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Set Wi-Fi to ON and select a network from the list.
- Enter a password, if prompted, and tap Join.
I have contacts on my Mac or PC
- Sync with iTunes.
Contract Term Acceptance
Due to the software in iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 8GB, they may not be used with any carrier other than Verizon Wireless, even after your contract term is completed.
Verizon Wireless offers international roaming to more than 200 countries on iPhone. To activate international service or to get the latest coverage, voice and data rates, go to the International Usage and Services page in My Verizon or My Verizon Mobile. For additional details, visit verizonwireless.com/international.
Apple, iPhone, iTunes and iCloud are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google, Inc.
Gmail and the Gmail logo are trademarks of Google, Inc.