THE VERIZON WIRELESS"Tell Us Your Small Business Story" CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THE CONTEST.
A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE AN ENTRANT'S CHANCES OF WINNING.
THE CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 48 CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AS THE DATE OF ENTRY, OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR STATE OF RESIDENCE, WHICHEVER IS GREATER, WHO OWNS A BUSINESS WITH A MAXIMUM OF 25 FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES AND HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR AT LEAST TWO (2) YEARS.
VOID IN ALASKA, HAWAII, PUERTO RICO AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
The Verizon Wireless ""Tell Us Your Small Business Story" Contest (the "Contest") is sponsored by Verizon Wireless, One Verizon Way, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-1025("Sponsor").
THE CONTEST PERIOD AND PHASES: The Contest begins at 12:00 PM (noon) Eastern Time ("ET") on December 9, 2012 and ends at 11:59:59 PM ET on January 12, 2013 (the "Contest Period"). During the Contest Period, eligible entrants may submit their Entries, defined in Section 4 below, by following the entry instructions below in these Official Rules. At the end of each week during the Contest Period, all eligible entries received for the week will be reviewed by a panel of judges. The five (5) most compelling stories that answers the question posted at www.verizon.com/smallbusinessblog each week will be selected and voted by the panel of judges and will be declared the potential winners for that week. Non-winning Entries from previous Entry Phases will not roll over into the next Entry Phase during the Contest Period. Entrants are responsible for determining the corresponding time zone in their respective locations. The Sponsor's clock is the Contest's official clock.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the forty-eight (48) contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, who are at least 18 years old or the age of majority in their state of residence, whichever is greater, as of the date of entry, who owns a business with a maximum of twenty-five (25) full-time employees and have been in business for at least two (2) years prior to the start of the Contest Period ("Entrant"). Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the United States Territories and Possessions, and elsewhere are ineligible to enter. Employees of Sponsor, American Express, Moxie Interactive and each of their parent and affiliate companies as well as their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee of such entities (collectively, "Contest Entities") are ineligible to enter. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, municipal and local laws and regulations. Void in Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, the United States Territories and Possessions, elsewhere and where prohibited or restricted by law.
- AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in this Contest constitutes Entrant's full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. These Official Rules form a binding legal agreement between the Entrant and the Sponsor with respect to the Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
- HOW TO ENTER: During the Contest Period, an Entrant must register by visiting www.verizon.com/smallbusiness or click on the banner promoting the Contest on the AMEX Open Card membership site, which will take the Entrant to the registration page at www.verizon.com/smallbusiness blog (the "Page"). Entrant need not be an AMEX customer to enter. To enter the Contest, the Entrant must first register by entering the information requested on the Page, including his/her complete name (first and last, no initials), business name, valid business e-mail address and phone number, business street address (no P.O. Boxes will be allowed), city, state and zip code, and click "submit." Then the Entrant must follow the on-screen instructions to upload his/her story in Section 5 (collectively, the "Entry").
By submitting an Entry, Entrants agree that their Entry conforms to the Entry Guidelines and Content Requirements as defined in Sections 5 below (collectively, the "Guidelines and Requirements"), and that Sponsor may disqualify an Entrant from the Contest if Sponsor believes, in its sole and absolute discretion, that an Entry fails to conform to the Guidelines and Requirements. If Sponsor rejects any Entry, in its sole and absolute discretion, such Entry will not appear on the Page and will not be considered a valid Entry. Also, by submitting an Entry, Entrants understand and acknowledge that his/her Entry will appear on the Page and will be viewable by anyone who visits the Page. Further, by participating, Entrants understand and agree that their stories may be featured on Verizon Wireless websites or social media sites.
NOTE: Limit one (1) Entry per Entrant during the entire Contest Period, regardless of Entry Phase. Any attempted form of participation in this Contest other than as described herein is void. If it is discovered that an Entrant has registered or attempted to register or enter more than once using multiple e-mail addresses, or multiple identities, all of the Entrant's entries will be declared null and void and any prize he/she might have been entitled to will not be awarded.
To participate, an Entrant must be a valid small business owner. By participating in the Contest, you understand you are providing your information to Sponsor.
- ENTRY GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS: Each Entry:
- Must be in English;
- Must be submitted by the business owner;
- Must not exceed 250 words in length;
- Must be true and factual;
- Must be the original work of the Entrant;
- Must not have been submitted previously in a promotion or contest of any kind and has not been exhibited or distributed previously in any media;
- Must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, including copyright infringement;
- Must not disparage Sponsor, any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest or other wireless carriers;
- Must not in any way contain any brand names or trademarks other than those of Sponsor;
- Must not be commercial or include offers, incentives or advertising.
- Must not include personally-identifiable information;
- Must not contain images or artwork that are not the original work of the Entrant;
- Must not contain material or language that is inappropriate, indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- Must not contain any offensive or vulgar language nor depict any pornographic or illegal act;
- Must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- Must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States or the local jurisdiction where the Entry is created.
- GENERAL ENTRY TERMS: If a Entrant attempts to enter the Contest more than once, the Sponsor may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, disqualify that Entrant and all of that Entrant's Entries will be ineligible to win the Contest. An approved Entry is defined as an Entry that has been submitted in accordance with these Official Rules. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. The authorized account holder, defined below, of the e-mail address associated with the e-mail account used to register for the Contest will be deemed to be the Entrant. By uploading an Entry, an Entrant irrevocably grants Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional, unlimited and perpetual right and permission to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse the Entrant's Entry as submitted or as edited/modified in any way by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, as well as to use (or not use) Entrant's name, business name, likeness, photograph, and/or statements in this Contest in any and all media without limitation, worldwide and throughout perpetuity, without additional compensation, notice to, or approval from Entrant or any other party. Each Entrant understands and agrees that although it has granted Sponsor the right to use its Entry as stated hereinabove, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect not to so use any said Entry. EACH ENTRANT REPRESENTS, UNDERSTANDS AND ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HE/SHE WILL NOT BE PAID FOR OR RECEIVE ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION OR ROYALTY OTHER THAN THE PRIZES STATED HEREIN IN EXCHANGE FOR GRANTING SPONSOR THESE RIGHTS OR FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT USE OF SUCH ENTRY BY SPONSOR. Each Entrant waives all intellectual property rights, privacy/publicity rights or other legal or moral rights that might limit or preclude Sponsor's use of the respective Entry and agrees not to sue or assert any claim against Contest Entities arising out of or connected to the use of the Entry. If requested, Entrant will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights Entrant is granting to use the Entry. Contest Entities are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries -- all of which will be void. In the event of a dispute as to any Entry, the authorized account holder (determined at time of the Entry) of the e-mail address used to register for the Contest will be deemed to be the Entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each Entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
- JUDGING CRITERIA AND FINAL JUDGING PHASE WITH THE SELECTION OF FIVE (%) WEEKLY PRIZE WINNERS: The "Judging Criteria" consist of the following weighted factors: (1) Relevance of the Story to the Weekly Question (50%); (2) Details around business challenges that were overcome (40%); and (3) Clear and concise description of the Entrant's business (10%).
In each Entry Phase, as set forth in Section 1, a panel of Judges selected by Sponsor will select the corresponding number of potential Winners (as set forth in the chart set forth in Section 1 from all eligible entries received for each Entry Phase, using the same Judging Criteria.
There will be no more than twenty-five (25) potential Winners and, depending on the number of Entries submitted and accepted, not all prizes may be awarded. In the event of any ties in the Judging Phase, the highest score in criterion 1, "Relevance of the story to the weekly Question " will be used to break any ties. In the event that there is still a tie after the first tie breaker, then the highest score in criterion 2, "Details around business challenges that were overcome" will be used to break the tie. Determinations of the Sponsor are final and binding.
- PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE ("ARV"):
WEEKLY PRIZE (25): Each Winner will receive a two hundred and fifty ($250) AMEX gift card. Gift card terms and conditions apply. The ARV of each prize is $250.00. Total AVR All Prizes: $6,250.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION AND FULFILLMENT: Each potential Winner will be notified via e-mail at the e-mail address used to register for the Promotion ("Prize Notification"). Each potential Winner must reply to Sponsor within three (3) days of the Prize Notification (the "Deadline").
Before being declared a Winner, each potential Prize Winner may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability and Publicity Release and a tax acknowledgment form, within three (3) business days from the Deadline, or the Prize may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, be forfeited. In the event a potential Prize Winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, his/her Prize will be forfeited.
If Sponsor is unable to contact any potential Prize Winner or the Prize Notification or Prize is returned as undeliverable, the Prize will be forfeited. In the event a potential Prize Winner does not reply before the Deadline in accordance with Sponsor's directions, the Prize will be forfeited. In the event of forfeiture of a Prize, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award the Prize to an alternate Prize Winner using the same selection methods as above. The right to receive a Prize is non-assignable, non-transferable and no Prize substitution, exchange or cash equivalent will be allowed, except by Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equal or greater value in case of unavailability of Prize or force majeure. Each Prize Winner is solely responsible for all federal, state and local taxes imposed on the Prize.
If a potential $250 AMEX Gift card Prize Winner cannot be contacted by the Deadline, is not in compliance with these Official Rules, or if the Prize Notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential Prize Winner forfeits the Prize. If a potential Prize Winner is disqualified for any reason, then the Sponsor may, but is not required to, select the Entrant with the next-highest score from his/her Judging Phase. Acceptance of a Prize shall constitute and signify each Prize Winner's agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use the Winner's name, city, state, likeness, Entry and/or prize information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law.
Limit one (1) Prize per business.
- TAXES AND OTHER EXPENSES: THE POTENTIAL PRIZE WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO SPONSOR ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY SPONSOR TO PERMIT SPONSOR TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE US, STATE, AND LOCAL TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS. ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH WINNER.
- GENERAL ENTRY CONDITIONS: Those who submit Entries will be required to irrevocably assign and transfer to Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in his/her Entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights, and agree to waive all moral rights in that Entry. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize of equal or greater value in the event all or part of a prize set forth above becomes unavailable. Prizes are non-substitutable and, except at Sponsor's sole discretion, non-transferable. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Participation in this Contest constitutes agreement by the Entrants to the terms and conditions of these Official Rules.
- WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants warrant that their Entries are original and that each Entrant is the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Entries and that the Entrant has the right to submit the Entries in the Contest. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates applicable U.S. law. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant on behalf of him/herself indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Contest Entities at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Contest Entities, their affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any material uploaded or otherwise provided by the Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the Entrant in connection with the Contest, (.
Each Entrant further agrees to release and hold harmless Contest Entities, including Facebook®, from any and all claims that any advertising subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of Sponsor infringes Entrant's rights with regard to any Entry. Although all Entries may be reviewed by the Sponosor's panel of judges before being judged, posted or published, the posting or publication of an Entry does not mean the Entry has been deemed to be in compliance with these Official Rules. Entries that do not comply with these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by Sponsor, in Sponsor's sole discretion, will be disqualified and, if posted on any websites related to this Contest, removed there from.
- ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, ownership of right or any other non-compliance with these Official Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant and/or Entry from the Contest. Any Participant suspected of or found by Sponsor to be submitting Entries by automatic, programmed, script, bot, third-party or otherwise fraudulent method, in Sponsor's sole discretion, will be disqualified and all Entries made by such methods will be disqualified. If an Entrant is suspected of submitting fraudulent Entries or of inciting others to submit fraudulent Entries on his/her behalf that Entrant may be disqualified and his/her Entry be removed, in Sponsor's sole discretion.
Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any person found or suspected of tampering with the entry process or the operation of this Contest, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
- INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission. The Contest Entities shall not be responsible or liable for entries that are entered by any automated computer program mechanism, entity, or device, in excess of the stated limit, or for entries that are late, forged, destroyed, lost, misplaced, stolen, misdirected, tampered with, incomplete, deleted, damaged, garbled, or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, and all such entries will be disqualified. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, cancel, terminate, modify and/or suspend the Contest and post such notice on the Page. In the event the Contest is canceled, terminated, modified and/or suspended, Sponsor will judge the Entries received up until that time and, provided there are enough eligible Entries to conduct the Contest, will proceed with the Contest as defined herein. In the event a dispute arises regarding a specific individual entitled to receive the Prize, an entry will be declared made by the "authorized e-mail account holder" associated with e-mail account used to register for the Contest. Any damage made to any Contest related website will also be the responsibility of the "authorized e-mail account holder" associated with the e-mail account used to register for the Contest. Entrant may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the Entrant is the authorized e-mail account holder of the e-mail address used to register or enter the Contest. Proof of sending any Entry or response to any notification by the Contest Entities will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor or any of the Contest Entities.
- NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of an Entry into the Contest, the awarding of a Prize, or anything in these Official Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Sponsor.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: IN NO EVENT WILL THE CONTEST ENTITIES (FOR THIS SECTION 16), THEIR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES AND RELATED COMPANIES, THEIR ADVERTISING OR PROMOTION AGENCIES OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. Sponsor and Contest Entities assume no responsibility for undeliverable e-mails resulting from any cause, including any form of active or passive e-mail filtering by a user's Internet Service Provider and/or e-mail client or for insufficient space in user's e-mail account to receive e-mails. By participating in this Contest, Entrants on behalf of themselves agree to release and hold harmless Contest Entities, and each their affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents (collectively, the "Releasees") from any and all liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, use or misuse of a prize, participation, or inability to participate in Contest, any Entries or any Contest-related activity. Releasees are not responsible for printing errors or for lost, late, unintelligible, misdirected, incomplete, damaged or garbled Entries or any other documents. Releasees are not responsible for any: (a) telephone, computer, hardware, software, programming or interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections, network malfunction, or other technical failures or errors, or failure to properly process Entries; (b) communication disruption or other forces beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor, including inability to access any contest related website, the Page, make Entries or other disruption related to Internet traffic, virus, bug, or non-authorized intervention; (c) damage caused by computer virus or otherwise resulting to any computer from Entrant's access to any Contest related website or the Page, whether human, mechanical or electronic; or (d) incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by Contest related website users or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in the Contest. Proof of submitting information is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. Releasees shall not be liable to any Winner or any other person for failure to supply a Prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God; any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entities (whether or not they prove to be valid); equipment failure; terrorist acts; earthquake; fire; flood; war; explosion; unusually severe weather; hurricane; embargo; labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal); labor or material shortage; transportation interruption of any kind; work slow-down; civil disturbance; insurrection; riot; or any other cause beyond Sponsor's sole control. Releasees shall not be liable to any Prize Winner or any other person for damage to such person's computer or its contents.
- DISPUTES: The Contest is governed by, and will be construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of NEW JERSEY.
- GENERAL: All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Sponsor reserves the right, to disqualify any Entrant found, in its sole opinion, to be tampering with the operation of the Contest, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike manner or with the intent to disrupt the normal operation of this Contest. Any use of robotic, automatic, macro, programmed, third party or like methods to participate in the Contest will void any attempted participation effected by such methods and the disqualification of the individual utilizing the same. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. All Entries and/or materials submitted become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Void in all jurisdictions except those specifically included herein, in Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii and wherever restricted or prohibited by law. In the event of any conflict with any Contest details contained in these Official Rules and Contest details contained in Contest Materials (including but not limited to point of sale, television, and print advertising, packaging, and other Contest media), the details of the Contest as set forth in these Official Rules shall prevail. If any provision of these Official Rules or any word, phrase, clause, sentence, or other portion thereof should be held unenforceable or invalid for any reason, then that provision or portion thereof shall be modified or deleted in such manner as to render the remaining provisions of these Official Rules valid and enforceable.
SPONSOR: Verizon Wireless, One Verizon Way, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920.