- What is LTE?
- What is 4G?
- How can 4G Mobile Broadband help me and my company?
- Do I need to subscribe to an Internet Service Provider in order to use 4G Mobile Broadband?
- Does Verizon Wireless provide email accounts for 4G Mobile Broadband subscribers?
- How does setup on the Mobile Broadband device work?
- What computer operating systems does 4G Mobile Broadband support?
- How can I check data usage for my Mobile Broadband device?
- What types of applications/services are likely to lead to high data usage?
- Does Verizon Wireless send a message when my 4G Mobile Broadband data usage approaches my limit?
- Do software updates count towards my Mobile Broadband allowance?
- Do I have to turn anything else on when using the Mobile Broadband service from my netbook?
- Why can't I send email through my existing ISP mail account?
- What 4G Mobile Broadband devices are available?
- Will my 4G device work on the 3G network?
- Can I use my current 3G device on the 4G Mobile Broadband network?
- If I am currently a Verizon Wireless customer, do I need a new mobile number for the 4G Mobile Broadband data devices or can I use my existing phone number?
- What is the purpose of the extender cable included with my USB modem (if applicable)?
- Are you activating a 4G LTE Device Not Purchased from Verizon Wireless?
- What is LTE?LTE (Long Term Evolution) is the next generation of wireless which uses an IP (Internet Protocol) based infrastructure. LTE will help enable Verizon Wireless to continue to meet increasing customer demands for a higher bandwidth, low latency service that works broadly in the United States and globally. Also, a majority of carriers around the world have chosen LTE as their long term direction. This will help Verizon Wireless meet consumer demand for mobilizing the many applications consumers frequently use when tethered to high-bandwidth wired networks.
Back to top
- What is 4G?
4G is the fourth generation of wireless. 2G brought us digital voice and text messaging. 3G brought us Smartphones, fast web browsing and apps.
With 4G, business applications that used to require wired networks will be unleashed, and it will be lightning fast.
But not all 4G services will be the same. We have taken the necessary steps to make Verizon Wireless 4G LTE the best 4G service available. For more information about 4G including a coverage map, visit the 4G website.Back to top
- How can 4G Mobile Broadband help me and my company?4G Mobile Broadband has many benefits.
- Faster data rates and reduced latency. You will have more responsive wireless Internet connections, enabling you to use multimedia-based applications such as video conferencing and real time security camera monitoring. You’ll also have the ability to work remotely on matters that traditionally confined you to your office.
- Global adoption. Over 130+ wireless carriers worldwide have chosen LTE as their 4G technology. This means in the future, customers will be able to travel from country to country using the same device, just as GSM has been widely adopted worldwide today.
- Future availability of more 4G devices and applications. Because LTE has been selected by carriers worldwide, there will be a wide array of devices and applications from wireless manufactures to support the vast adoption and demand for LTE and innovative applications. These innovations will promote maximum efficiency for businesses and consumers.
- Backward compatibility with existing 3G network. Your Mobile Broadband connections are maintained even in non-4G coverage locations. This enables you to experience 4G in launch markets, yet still stay connected to America’s largest and most reliable 3G network in other places.
- Do I need to subscribe to an Internet Service Provider in order to use 4G Mobile Broadband?No, 4G Mobile Broadband provides complete Internet access. A separate Internet service provider account is not necessary.
Back to top
- Does Verizon Wireless provide email accounts for 4G Mobile Broadband subscribers?Verizon Wireless does not provide email accounts at this time. Customers can use the 4G Mobile Broadband networks and their Internet browser or Virtual Private Network (VPN) client to access their existing email accounts to send and receive email while away from the office. Check with your IT department regarding intranet access requirements.Back to top
- How does setup on the Mobile Broadband device work?Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband devices come with a software installation CD that assists with the installation of the USB modem drivers and software onto the laptop computer. After installation of the drivers and software, the device is inserted into the correct slot followed by a few automated steps for activation of the device. Once this is complete you can be online and browsing in no time. For more information, please refer to the 4G Instructional Video.Back to top
- What computer operating systems does 4G Mobile Broadband support?4G Mobile Broadband service supports Windows 7®, Vista® and XP®, but we are diligently pursuing the support of additional operating systems. For the latest information, please visit www.vzam.net for additional details.Back to top
- How can I check data usage for my Mobile Broadband device?You may check your unbilled monthly data use for your Mobile Broadband device through the following options:
- Your online account management tool (My Verizon, My Business Account or Verizon Enterprise Center).
- Click the "Usage" tab on VZAccess® Manager.
- Dial *611 from your Verizon Wireless handset. You must have your Mobile Broadband device mobile number available to check usage.
- What types of applications/services are likely to lead to high data usage?Streaming videos and certain applications can typically lead to high data usage. For more information, refer to the online Data Calculator.Back to top
- Does Verizon Wireless send a message when my 4G Mobile Broadband data usage approaches my limit?Yes, we send text messages to your Mobile Broadband device, which you can view by selecting the Text Messaging tab in VZAccess Manager. These messages will appear when your usage reaches 50%, 75%, 90% and 100% of your monthly data allowance. However, until the beginning of your first full bill cycle for your 4G Mobile Broadband service, there will be a time lag that can be as long as eight hours between the end of a data session and the point at which your data usage for that session is applied to your account. Therefore, it is possible that you may exceed your usage allowance before receiving a text message. If you want to set different thresholds and/or specify the phone numbers and email addresses where alerts will be sent, you can do so through your online account.Back to top
- Do software updates count towards my Mobile Broadband allowance?Yes; downloads for computer OS Updates, anti-virus, and other software updates will count against your Mobile Broadband allowance. You can change your computer settings so these updates won’t automatically download until you approve the download.Back to top
- Do I have to turn anything else on when using the Mobile Broadband service from my netbook?With some models of netbooks purchased from Verizon Wireless, you may need to make sure that the power switch (if any) for the embedded wireless card is in the “on” position, and also launch VZAccess Manager. If you purchased your netbook elsewhere, you may or may not need to check the power switch for the embedded wireless card (if any). Some netbook vendors also use connection manager software other than VZAccess Manager.Back to top
- Why can't I send email through my existing ISP mail account?Some ISPs (Internet Service Providers) require their customers to authenticate before sending email from other networks, such as Verizon Wireless' network. Please contact your email service provider for assistance in configuring your mail client.Back to top
- What 4G Mobile Broadband devices are available?Initially, 4G Mobile Broadband service is available with 4G USB modems. Additional devices are coming in 2011.Back to top
- Will my 4G device work on the 3G network?Yes: Verizon Wireless’ 4G devices are backward compatible with the Verizon Wireless 3G network.Back to top
- Can I use my current 3G device on the 4G Mobile Broadband network?No, as Verizon Wireless introduces new services, such as 4G Mobile Broadband, you will need to purchase new 4G devices to take advantage of the 4G network. However, you will still be able to use your existing devices for the foreseeable future on our 3G network.Back to top
- If I am currently a Verizon Wireless customer, do I need a new mobile number for the 4G Mobile Broadband data devices or can I use my existing phone number?You will need to add an additional mobile number to your account for the data devices. The data devices have their own mobile number ( IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identity), just like a wireless phone.Back to top
- What is the purpose of the extender cable included with my USB modem (if applicable)?The extender cable can be used to ensure that you are receiving optimum signal strength for your Mobile Broadband service. This cable plugs into your USB port on your laptop and the USB modem.Back to top
- Are you activating a 4G LTE Device Not Purchased from Verizon Wireless?
You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. If you did not purchase your device from Verizon Wireless, please be aware that certification of a device for use on the Verizon Wireless network does not mean that Verizon Wireless has made any determination as to the function, call quality or other functionality provided by the device. The device provider is solely responsible for the representations of its product function, functionality, pricing and service agreements. Verizon Wireless does not in any way warrant that the certified device (a) will operate or operate without error on the network (including the network of any other carrier accessed while roaming or otherwise), or with available Verizon Wireless branded products and services (b) will operate without the need for periodic upgrades or modifications to the certified device; (c) will operate indefinitely on the network; (d) will not be subject to service disruptions or interruptions due to government regulation, system capacity, coverage limitations, radio signal interference or other anomalies; or (e) will not be adversely affected by network-related modifications, upgrades or similar activity. Also, you should contact the device provider from whom you purchased the device for questions about its operations and capabilities. Verizon Wireless representatives may not be able to troubleshoot operational difficulties encountered with devices not purchased from Verizon Wireless.Back to top
- Where is Verizon Wireless 4G Mobile Broadband Service available?4G Mobile Broadband is currently available in many major cities and airports nationwide, and will continue to expand service to cities and towns across the US. To see current availability, check the coverage map. Additionally, our 4G devices also provide connectivity to our existing 3G network, available in thousands of cities and towns across the U.S.Back to top
- Is my company's proprietary data secure traveling over the Verizon Wireless 4G Mobile Broadband network?The Verizon Wireless 4G network incorporates secure storage, mutual authentication, 128 bit encryption and airlinkciphering to protect your data transmissions. Verizon Wireless always recommends you use a VPN and firewall software to provide additional security for your information.Back to top
- Will 4G Mobile Broadband work with IP Sec and existing VPN Solutions?Yes, your VPN product should treat the 4G Mobile Broadband data network exactly as it treats the Internet; however, we recommend testing your specific VPN over the 4G Mobile Broadband network before you deploy the service. Verizon Wireless' national data sales team, in conjunction with system engineers and data solutions managers, work with customers and VPN providers to enable secure, wireless access to their VPN over the 4G Mobile Broadband network. Your Verizon Wireless sales representative can provide additional information on VPN access over the Verizon Wireless networks. Verizon Wireless Data Sales Engineers are also available to meet with your corporate IT group to answer any questions and ensure a smooth implementation.Back to top