SEATTLE, WA — Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, and Verizon Wireless today announced a Domestic Violence Prevention Partnership to raise awareness of domestic violence issues and give added resources to victims in the Puget Sound region.
"One of the important parts of the partnership is the distribution of wireless phones to victims of domestic violence. This provides victims with one more way to help protect themselves if they are threatened. If you have an old wireless phone, please consider donating it to this cause," said Mayor Greg Nickels.
"Domestic violence is an epidemic. It affects all of us," said Kelley Kurtzman, regional president, Verizon Wireless. "Through our HopeLineSM program and our partnership with the City of Seattle, Verizon Wireless remains committed to assisting victims of domestic violence and helping prevent future assaults."
Launched in 2001, Verizon Wireless' HopeLine program collects used wireless phones and either refurbishes, recycles or sells them. All proceeds are used to award cash grants or wireless phones with airtime to human service and public safety agencies to help victims of abuse.
Partnership elements include:
- Over 1,500 City of Seattle used wireless phones will be provided to Verizon Wireless to be used for victims of domestic violence.
- A donation of 150 wireless phones with voicemail and pre-paid minutes from Verizon Wireless to the Seattle Police Department to be placed directly in the hands of domestic violence victims.
- A donation of 50 wireless phones to the King County Coalition Against Domestic Violence for use by domestic violence victims.
- Verizon Wireless HopeLine grant totaling $15,000 awarded to the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence for the medical screening of pregnant and post partum women for domestic violence.
- A direct mail campaign that targets Puget Sound-based companies to raise awareness of domestic violence among both employers and employees.
- A HopeLine collection drive of used wireless phones to benefit victims, with Verizon Wireless retails stores in Puget Sound as drop-off locations.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 34.6 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com.
Verizon Wireless encourages customers who are upgrading their wireless phone to participate in its exclusive HopeLine phone-recycling program. The national HopeLine program distributes previously owned wireless phones to victims of domestic violence, supports non-profit domestic violence advocacy groups and provides an environmentally safe method of recycling phones. Donations are accepted at all 1,200-plus Verizon Wireless Communications Stores across the country. For additional information, customers can also visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.