ORANGEBURG, NY — In an ongoing effort to provide the best wireless service for residents, commuters and visitors to the city, Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless provider, has activated 12 new cell sites in Manhattan to continue to improve wireless service for its customers.
The new sites, activated from May through October, are part of a planned investment in the company's national wireless network, the largest, most advanced and most reliable in the country. Verizon Wireless spends $1 billion every 90 days to expand and upgrade its nationwide wireless network and to stay ahead of the growing demand for its voice and data services. The company added a record 1.4 million net new customers during the third quarter, more than any other wireless carrier.
"Verizon Wireless continues to build cell sites and improve service in the city for our customers," said Charles Hand, president of Verizon Wireless' New York Metro area. "In the past year, we've added 24 new cell sites in Manhattan and several more are in the works for all five boroughs."
Hand said he expects demand for Verizon Wireless' services to continue to be strong, especially after November 24th when, for the first time, customers will be able to switch wireless carriers and keep their wireless phone numbers. "The artificial barrier, forcing customers to stay with one carrier, will be gone and they'll be free to choose the best network," he said.
The new cell sites and areas of improved coverage in Manhattan are as follows:
- Riverside and 83rd St: enhances service on the West Side Highway, Riverside Drive, West End Avenue and Broadway from 80th to 91st Streets
- Center Market: covers Centre, Mott and Mulberry Streets from Bayard Street north to Delaney Street, and Canal and Grand Streets from Lafayette Street to Bowery Street
- City Hall: improves coverage on the Brooklyn Bridge and on Broadway, Lafayette and Centre Streets near City Hall
- 8th Avenue and 50th St.: enhances service on 7th and 8th Avenues and Broadway from 49th to 56th Streets
- 8th Avenue and 45th St.: improves coverage on 8th and 9th Avenues from 41st to 48th Streets
- Central Park West and 76th St.: covers Central Park West from 73rd through 81st Streets
- Dover and Front St.: provides greater coverage on a section of the Brooklyn Bridge and in lower Manhattan on South, Water, Front, Pearl and Fulton Streets.
- Madison and 37th St.: enhances service on Fifth, Madison, Park and Lexington Avenues from 32nd to 41st Streets.
- Washington Square Park: improves coverage on Fifth and University Avenues and Broadway from Waverly Street to E. 12th St.
- Westside: enhances service on West End, 10th and Columbus Avenues from W. 52nd to W. 57th Streets.
- Columbus and W. 81st St.: provides improved coverage on Central Park West, Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues from 78th to 85th Streets.
- Lenox Avenue and 119th St.: improves service on Adam Clayton Powell Road, Malcolm X Blvd. and Fifth Avenue from 113th to 122nd Streets.
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $8 billion over the last two years in its nationwide network, offering customers access to the most extensive wireless voice and data network in the United States.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and over 36 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.