ORANGEBURG, NY — In an ongoing effort to provide the best wireless service for residents and those who travel throughout Middlesex County, Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless provider, activated eight new cell sites in the county last year.
The new sites are part of a planned investment in the company's national wireless network, the largest, most reliable in the country. Verizon Wireless spends $1 billion every 90 days to expand and upgrade its nationwide wireless network and to stay ahead of the growing demand for its voice and data services. The company now serves more than 37.5 million customers.
"Verizon Wireless continues to build cell sites to serve the increasing number of customers who rely on our service for wireless calls, text messages, e-mail and other data services," said Charles Hand, president of Verizon Wireless' New York Metro area. "During 2003, we added eight new cell sites in Middlesex County and additional locations are planned for this year."
The new sites improve service in the following areas:
- In Menlo Park on Parsonage Road in the vicinity of the Menlo Park Mall, and on Route 1 from Woodbridge Avenue to Cody Street.
- In Perth Amboy on the Garden State Parkway from Exits 125 to 127, and on Route 35 from Oak Street to Brice Avenue.
- In Old Bridge on Routes 18 and 527 from Pleasant Valley Road to Route 516.
- In Old Bridge on Englishtown Road from Birch Street to Mt. Mills Road and on Texas Road from Route 613 to Hawkins Road.
- In Piscataway on Route 287 from Exits 5 to 8, and on Centennial Avenue from Hudson Street to Washington Avenue.
- In Jamesburg from the Forsgate Country Club to N. State Home Road and throughout Thompson Park.
- In South Brunswick on Route 1 from Promenade Boulevard to Scudders Mill Road and on Ridge Road from Route 27 to New Road.
- In Edison on Raritan Center Parkway and throughout Raritan Center. Hand said he expects demand for Verizon Wireless' services to continue to be strong, now that customers are able to switch wireless carriers and keep their wireless phone numbers.
"The artificial barrier, forcing customers to stay with one carrier, is gone and they are free to choose the best network," he said.
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $8 billion over the last two years in its nationwide network, offering customers access to the most extensive wireless voice and data network in the United States.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 37.5 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com.