ORANGEBURG, NY — As boating season kicks into high gear, Verizon Wireless wants to remind customers it offers a direct connection to the U.S. Coast Guard by dialing *CG (24) and the SEND key from any Verizon Wireless phone. There is no charge for the service to Verizon Wireless customers in the New York Metro area.
"Our *CG service gives customers another way to communicate while on the water that increases convenience and enhances safety and security," said Charles Hand, Verizon Wireless president, New York Metro Region. "While VHF-FM maritime channel 16 should be used as the primary means for reporting an emergency from the water, Verizon Wireless customers can use *CG to get help or to pass along information about a navigational hazard that could endanger boaters."
In addition, a national tide report service is available to recreational boaters and fishermen with Verizon Wireless Get It Now®-enabled phones. Called Salt Water Tides, the downloadable service provides a Tide Report listing high tide, low tide, sunrise, sunset and moon phases for more than 2,300 U.S. coastal locations for just $3.99 a month. All tide data on Salt Water Tides is sourced from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Customers can even set the personalized Tide Alert feature to ring their wireless phones at a particular tide level or time of day.
Verizon Wireless reminds all wireless customers to use their phones responsibly. Just as drivers are encouraged to use their phones sensibly onshore, boaters should keep safety in mind when navigating and speaking on the phone. Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for boaters:
- Responsible boating should be your first priority.
- Make sure your phone is positioned where it is easy to see and reach. Using a headset allows you to talk on your wireless phone and keep both hands free to navigate.
- Use the speed dialing features on your phone to program frequently called numbers.
- Let your wireless network's voicemail or text messaging pick up your calls when you're unable to answer the phone. If you're heading into a navigational hazard, it's easy to retrieve your messages later.
- Use your wireless phone to notify those on shore of your whereabouts and destination.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 39 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.thenewsmarket.com/verizonwireless.