BUFFALO, NY — In a continuing effort to provide the best wireless service for local residents in the Buffalo area, Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's most reliable wireless network, has completed extensive network expansions that will enhance wireless coverage in the area. The company has expanded its local wireless network with new cell sites in the City of Buffalo, on the Buffalo State College campus, and in the towns of Tonawanda, Orchard Park and Springbrook.
- The new Buffalo site increases coverage and capacity along Elmwood Avenue, Richmond Avenue and Delaware Avenue. The site also covers Women's and Children's Hospital of Buffalo.
- The new Buffalo State College site enhances coverage and capacity on campus; along Rockwell Road, Elmwood Avenue, Forest Avenue and Grant Street; and along the Scajaquada Expressway.
- The new Tonawanda site enhances coverage and capacity along I-290 and Colvin Avenue.
- The new Orchard Park site increases coverage and capacity along Routes 240 and 277, and along Southwestern Boulevard.
- The new Springbrook site increases coverage and capacity along Route 400 and Route 16.
This network expansion is part of the company's aggressive multi-billion dollar network investment each year (more than $1 billion every 90 days) to stay ahead of the growing demand for Verizon Wireless voice and data services. The company invested more than $5.5 billion in its wireless network last year as part of its commitment to offer customers the most reliable service available in the nation, including wireless data services such as Picture Messaging, TXT Messaging, and wireless Internet access. NationalAccess, the company's national high-speed wireless data network, provides wireless Internet access at speeds between 60 and 80 kbps, with bursts up to 144 kbps.
Strong demand for Verizon Wireless services continued during the second quarter of 2005 as the company added an industry record 1.9 million net new customers, and maintained its position as the nation's wireless leader in customer loyalty, setting an industry record for customer retention and lowest turnover rate, as reported by the largest wireless providers.
The company's "most reliable network" claim is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women throughout the country who inspired the "can you hear me now" national advertising campaign. These engineers conduct more than 300,000 call attempts monthly on Verizon Wireless' and other national carriers' networks while traveling over 100,000 miles a month in specially equipped, company-owned test vehicles. If you are interested in setting up an interview or ride-along test drive with your local Verizon Wireless test man or woman, please contact John O'Malley at 585-321-7264.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 47.4 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log onto www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.