With hundreds of employees losing their homes and belongings in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Verizon Wireless has focused on helping these impacted employees in every way possible.
Verizon Wireless has reached out to each affected employee to determine individual needs and to ensure the complete job security for employees in hurricane stricken areas.
Company locations across the country have also collected clothing and food and distributed these items to impacted employees so that their needs can be met.
In addition, Verizon Wireless is providing the following benefits to impacted employees:
- Extended pay and benefits
- Waived co-pays for prescription medicine and eye exams and replacement glasses will be covered at 100%
- Interest-free loans of up to $10,000 for employees facing substantial personal and financial hardship [More than 100 employees have taken advantage of the loans.]
- Web-based information and resources for all employees in a special section of the company's intranet portal.
- Dedicated 1-800 line has been established for impacted employees to get quick access to information, answers to questions, and Employee Assistance Support and counseling
- Resource and Referral Specialists to assist displaced employees with everything from finding schools, housing, child/elder care, to positions in other locations across the country
- Financial planning assistance
- Employee to employee donations: Verizon Wireless is currently gathering specific employee needs and is posting this information on the company's internal "Hurricane Katrina: Employee Connections" message center so impacted employees can easily access offers of housing, automobiles, and airline mileage from fellow employees on an ongoing basis.
Verizon Wireless is committed to doing everything possible to help our fellow employees affected by this tragedy today, as well as in the future weeks and months to come.
Media Contacts are for Media Inquiries Only:
In Gulf Coast:
All Other Calls: