SALT LAKE CITY, UT — Verizon Wireless announced today it completed a more than $55 million enhancement to Utah's voice and data wireless network in 2005. The investment includes adding and updating cell sites and installing new technologies to improve call quality, increase coverage areas, and enable a variety of advanced services such as TXT and Picture Messaging, V CAST, BroadbandAccess, and other applications.
The network investment, which totals more than $117 million over the past four years, is also key to expanding capacity and to keep up with growing demand.
Since the beginning of 2005, the network investments in Utah have resulted in:
- Enhancements that expanded the company's call capacity, enabling the network to handle even more simultaneous voice and data calls. Network usage in Utah increased nearly 37 percent in 2005 over 2004.
- Salt Lake City and Wasatch Front network upgrades, which enabled V CAST, the nation's first 3G wireless broadband multimedia service for consumers, and BroadbandAccess, the largest wide-area wireless Internet access service available in the nation. Both services run on the company's high-speed EV-DO (Evolution Data-Optimized) wireless broadband network, which is available from coast to coast.
- Deployment of a COW (Cell On Wheels) to support the evacuees from Hurricane Katrina housed at Camp Williams.
- A series of new cell sites throughout the state, including those that improved coverage in the communities of Lynndyl, Provo, Salt Lake City and Tooele.
- Upgrades to switching centers in Salt Lake City enhanced call capacity and network reliability to the Utah network.
"Providing customers with the nation's most reliable wireless network means making large-scale investments year after year," said Jeff Mango, regional president, Verizon Wireless. "We've proven that these efforts pay off for our customers with strong network performance in Utah based on testing by our real life test men and women."
Verizon Wireless is dedicated to delivering outstanding customer satisfaction by providing a positive wireless experience to its more than 50 million customers. The company has regularly invested more than $4 billion nationally each year since its inception and more than $5.5 billion last year alone.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
Editor's note: For network cell site images go to www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 51.3 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Test Man/Woman Ride-Along Program
The specially equipped Verizon Wireless test vehicles simultaneously test multiple wireless providers, using a computerized program to generate phonically diverse "conversations" as well as data transmissions. Members of the media who are interested in setting up an interview ride-along with a local member of the Verizon Wireless team of real-life test men and women, are invited to contact Bob Kelley at 303-694-8990 or e-mail robert.kelley@VerizonWireless.com.