HONOLULU, HI — Verizon Wireless invested more than $39 million to enhance its Hawaii voice and data wireless network in 2006. That's an average of more than $100,000 per day spent to provide customers in the state with the reliable, high quality service they expect from Verizon Wireless.
The company's network investment in Hawaii now totals more than $116 million over the past five years.
The investment includes adding and updating cell sites to improve call quality and enable customers to make calls. The multi-million dollar investment also includes the launch of the company's Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) broadband wireless data network on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, The Big Island, and Lanai.
More specifically the network investments made last year in Hawaii are delivering:
Expanded coverage and call capacity
- Key new cell sites throughout the state, including those that improved coverage in the communities of Kapolei, Manele Bay, Oceanview, and Lahaina
- Usage growth in Hawaii over the last five years was 311 percent.
Most reliable network in the nation
- Network handled call volumes 250 higher than normal during the earthquake. Backup batteries and generators kept cell sites humming and the network returned to full strength within19 hours.
- Deployment of a Cell on Wheels mobile cell site to provide wireless communications service for fans of the Pro Bowl.
New wireless technologies
- Customers in Hawaii can now access high-speed wireless Internet, e-mail, mobile music and more. The high speed data network that enables both BroadbandAccess and V CAST services launched in November.
- Customers also have access to innovative new services based on Global Positioning System (GPS) data. ChaperoneSM gives parents new tools to help identify the whereabouts of phones they've given to their young children. VZ NavigatorSM provides wireless turn-by-turn driving directions, maps and addresses. And Field Force Manager allows businesses to map the location of field employees and jobs in near real-time.
The company has invested $35 billion in the last seven years $5 billion on average every year since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. Network investment for 2007 is already underway.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.