ALBUQUERQUE, NM — Beginning today, drivers in the City of Albuquerque, New Mexico are required to use hands-free devices when using a wireless phone while driving. To assist drivers, Verizon Wireless is offering a 30 percent discount from now through March 31, 2007 on the purchase of three or more wireless accessories.
Verizon Wireless offers a wide range of the latest hands-free wireless accessories. For example, customers can choose Bluetooth® and other headsets, hands-free car kits and earpieces.
The limited-time 30 percent discount on wireless accessories also includes other popular items like backup batteries and car chargers. The special discount is available at participating Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in New Mexico through the end of March.
Verizon Wireless is committed to promoting and educating the public on the safe and responsible use of wireless phones while driving.
Working with device manufacturers, the company has taken numerous steps to ensure its products offer hands-free capabilities, through speakerphones and/or hands-free accessories.
Verizon Wireless also offers customers the following tips for responsible driving:
- When behind the wheel, safe and responsible driving is always your first priority.
- Do not manually dial or look up phone numbers when driving. Pre-program important and frequently dialed numbers and use the voice-activated and speed-dialing features of your phone. Do not take notes, check or send e-mail, TXT Messages or Picture Messages while driving.
- Using a wireless phone while driving may increase your risk of distraction, whether or not you use a hands-free device. To eliminate this risk, consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to Voice Mail.
- The risk of using a wireless phone while driving may be increased during hazardous traffic or weather conditions. When driving in these conditions, consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to Voice Mail.
- If you choose to talk and drive, always use a hands-free device. Make sure your hands-free device is on and working before driving.
- Do not engage in complex, stressful or emotional calls while driving.
- Know your wireless phone number so emergency personnel can call you back. You may want to write it down and keep it in your car for quick reference.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.